Chapter 1 (The Awakening)

Third PERSON POV

On a ship, a boy is recovering from a serious injury that could've killed him. Suddenly, he starts to flutter his eyes open.

Aang's POV
I start to get up, with my whole body aching. My vision is blurry but clears again. I gasp as I look around the room I'm laying in, a Fire Nation ship. I struggle getting up and grabbing my staff. Quietly, I open the door. Using my staff as support, I make my way to the exit.

"Did you hear something?" A deep voice says. Around the corner, a big and short man is standing there. I gather as much energy as I can and throw a gust of wind, to block their view. I make a break for it.
Hearing behind me, "He's awake!" I keep running, they yelled 'stop' and 'wait' but I don't. I get to the stairs. I start climbing but trip on the last step. My glider slips out of my hand and makes noise. I look up to see Momo and two other men looking at me wearing Fire Nation navy armor.
"Momo?" I ask. Momo squeak s as an approval. He climbs on my shoulder and licks my right cheek.
"Twinkle toes! That's got to be you!" I hear someone say, quickly learning that was Toph. Katara and Toph come running towards me and make a circle with some other men.
"Aang, you're awake!" Katara exclaims.
"Are you sure? It feels like I'm dreaming." I say while rubbing my eyes to see in I really am.
Katara comes and embraces me tightly, scaring off Momo. "You're not dreaming! You're finally awake!" Someone walks over with Fire Nation armor on.
"Aang's, good to see you back in the living, buddy."
"Sokka?" I ask if that 'man' was him, but get no response. I get light-headed and start falling backward. "Oh no, somebody catch him. I think he's gonna-." Toph starts saying but doesn't get to finish as I fall Katara catches me before I hit the cold, metal floor.

Zuko's POV

I'm outside just staring at the moon in the dead of night. Then I hear footsteps behind me.

"Aren't you cold?" I hear Mai question.

I keep looking at the moon but finally answer. "I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long. Over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed? I wonder how I've changed?" I state, still not looking at Mai.

Mai yawns sarcasticly. "I just asked if you were cold.I didn'task for your whole life story. Stop worrying." She starts to lean in. Then she connects our lips together. After, she goes back inside, to get warm I guess. But I stay outside thinking about that one Water Tribe girl, Katara.

*Flashback*

"Why did you throw you in here? Oh, wait. Let me guess-- it's a trap," Katara starts, "so when Aang shows up to help me you can finally have him in you little Fire Nation clutches." I move as if I was going to say something, but say nothing. "You're a terrible person, you know that? Always following us, hunting the Avatar, trying to capture the world's las hope for peace!" Katara stating to raise her voice a little, "But what do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son. Spreading war and violence and hatered is in your blood."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I suddenly speak up.

"I don't?! How dare you!" She yells at me. "You have no idea what this war put me through. Me personally. The Fire Nation took my mother away from me." She says as she touches the necklace around her neck while engulfed in tears.

"I'm sorry." I start, "That's something we have in common." Katara stops sobbing. We both stand up.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you before," Katara says with a softer voice, "Its just for so long, whenever I would imagine the face of the enemy, it was your face."

"My face. I see." I say while lightly touching my scar on the side of my face, over the left eye. The one my father gave me. Katara quickly realizes her mistake and trys to make it better. "No, no, that's not what I meant."

"It's okay. I used to think this scar marked me." I say with honesty in my voice. "The mark of the 'Baniched Prince,' cursed to hunt the Avatar forever. But lately, I've reliezed I'm free to determine my own destiny, even if I'll never be free of my mark."

"Maybe you could be free of it." Katara states.

"What?" I question in disbelief.

"I have healing abilities." Katara starts but gets cut off.

"It's a scar. It can't be healed."  I explain to her.

Katara holds up a container with Water Tribe designs over it and a cresent moon over the top. "This is water from the Spirit Oasis at the North Pole. It has special properties, so I've saving it for something important." She walks over and stands in front of me. "I don't know if it will work..." She trails off as I close my eyes and she puts her hand on my scar.

*End of Flashback*

The serene was replaying in my mind. I still remember the look of betrayal on her face. At that moment it felt like fireworks were going off inside of me. I liked Kata—. I stop. My body stiffens. I-I liked Katara? No, no that can't be right. I am with Mai, but do I love Mai?

-------

Please vote and comment.

There is nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is you want from you life -Uncle Iroh