"I'm sure a little bit of space between us is safe."

"I am not taking any risks. Seeing you struggle to get on that horse, I cannot bear to imagine you falling down from it."

I huff in annoyance as he laughs at his own joke of an excuse. I couldn't help the smile that took over my face, hearing his charming laugh. I look out to see the end of the first and a large concrete gate.

As we approach it, the guards open the giant doors, as a swarm of people cheer. I look confused and turn to face Nathaniel, who has a pleasing smile.

The townspeople cheered for the arrival of their King and threw flowers in our direction as we walked down the path. I smiled nervously at them before the smile etched naturally in my face at the loyalty and love I witnessed from the people of Nordfjord.

There is another gate, a bit smaller than the first one, and it opens wildly to a large castle. Bushes grew everywhere, as a stream passes by the side of the castle. I look astonished at the sight of my new home.

"How do you like your new home?"

"It's truly gorgeous. I love it."

"I'm glad. This is where we get off."

Nathaniel gets off first, as he carries me down from the tall stallion. I pet it's neck slightly and run my fingers through the horse's shiny dark mane.

My husband grabs my hand as he walks me into the castle. We enter the throne room and I see several more guards, maids, and an older woman who I assume to be my mother in law.

Although I am nothing but nervous on the inside, I keep my calm composure and walk side by side with my husband. The women seemed to be wearing a similar dress as I, and I instantly missed the flowing dress and shawl from my culture over this heavy dress and tight corset.

"Mother, pleased to meet you again."

"I hope the journey wasn't too rough, Nathan. Now this is my daughter in law. I must say you look nothing like your mother."

"My mother?"

Something in my gut felt wrong and I knew a catastrophe was about to occur. I looked worriedly at Nathaniel and he responded with the same worried glance.

"The Queen of Alasia, Rita of course. She is my distant relative, although her family was banished after her grandfather caused humiliation to the family. I do feel pity for your mother, that she lived in Alasia, but luckily she married Shaffar. I can't bear to imagine my relative, distant or not living a commoner's life under the rule of such people."

"What is wrong with the people of Alasia? You make it sound like such a horrid place."

"Of course it is dear. I mean no offence, but the country, cultures, and people, none of it makes sense. It's quite alienating if you know what I mean. I'm just glad my son married one with the blood of a northerner."

"It seems that you have mistaken my wife for her stepsisters. This is my wife, Avani and soon to be Queen of Nordfjord."

"I am the proud daughter of King Leon Queen and Vila of Alasia."

Her face was frozen for a second before it contorted into one of disgust and anger. Her pale skin turned red and if possible, smoke would be coming out of her ears.

"How dare you trick my son into marrying you. Nathaniel what have you done by marrying a full-blooded Alasian! How can she be the Queen to Nordfjord!"

"Mother, are you questioning my decision? Whether you are my mother or not, I would advise you that it is not wise to challenge the King's choice and dishonour his wife."

The calmness in his voice truly scared me, there was a threatening edge to it. I knew his relationship with his parents was not the best, but I didn't want to be a reason to further damage it.

"Queen mother, Genevine, I would try to be the best wife to my husband, a proper mother to our children, and a fitting queen for Nordfjord. That is if you guide me and give me a chance."

I asked politely. The anger seemed to return for a moment before she replaced it with what seemed to be like a forced smile. Nonetheless, I returned it, ignoring the warning bells going off in my mind.

"Very well, welcome to the family, Avani."

It sounded very forced and she ended it with a laugh that truly sounded like a cackle. She reached out and hugged me as I looked at my husband. I expected him to be laughing at this awkward situation, but instead he looked tense.

"Well why don't we have a feast then. I have prepared one for the arrival of my son and his bride. Come this way."

The end tone in her voice scared me, as I looked at my husband for help. He placed his palm in the back of my back, never leaving my side for a moment. At that time I knew, my mother in law will do everything to make my life a living hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things are getting more interesting and inevitable drama seems to be awaiting Avani and Nathaniel.

As always, thank you guys for reading this story and showing your support through likes and comments. As promised, there will be an extra chapter update tomorrow.