29

I was a quick learner and with Nathaniel's guidance I was able to master horse riding in no time. Well not master, but I can ride and control Raine now.

As of now we were departing for our journey to the villages. Nathaniel was already saddled on top of Thunder and I struggled to get on top of my tall mare. My short height wasn't helping either nor did the ticking clock as the men waited for me.

I finally got on the horse, and Raine moved slightly before I could settle in. I felt myself fall towards the ground, but an arm captured my waist and I tilted my head to look up at Nathaniel. Our breaths synchronized and it was as if we departed into another world.

We snapped out of our thoughts hearing the questioning voice of a nearby guard. I released myself from my husband's grasp and finally settled on top of the horse. I petted her neck twice and moved the reins, as she began to follow Thunder.

We trotted along the river as I blindly followed my husband. I was still unaware of the lands and had to rely on him and the other men for directions. I studied the forest and the markings for future reference and enjoyed the scenery.

Just as the sun set after hours of travelling, Nathaniel ordered us to cease on a barren land. During the travel we talked occasionally, although I was busy admiring nature's beauty and he was talking to the royal advisor, Marc.

"We will rest for now and return to travelling at dawn. Most of us will put up the tent, while others will tie the horses."

Unlike before, I jumped off the horse quite easily and gracefully might I add. I looked up to see Nathaniel and smiled smugly at my success of getting off the horse while he shook his head laughing at my childish behaviour. My heart fluttered realizing that our damaged relationship was repairing slowly, but surely.

I decided I'll be more helpful looking out for the horses rather than helping with the tent. On one hand, I held Stormy while on the other was Thunder. Once I fastened them, I helped with the other horses and tied the reins to a sturdy tree.

As the last horse was fastened securely, I walked towards the fireplace to eat some dinner. With their spare time, some of the men took it in themselves to have fresh meat over gruel. We were lucky to catch a deer and everyone's hunger was satisfied when the last piece was finished.

I looked around at the tents. Most were the same size, but a larger one outshone them. I walked over to the tent that obviously belonged to none other than Nathaniel. I opened the door to see him in nothing but his sleepwear, as he prepared to sleep.

"Where is my tent?"

"The stitches on one of the tents had ripped and I told the guards not to fret. My wife will sleep with me in my tent and they can use hers."

"Very well then."

There were no doors and changing outside was not an option. I turned my back to my husband and discarded my clothing until I was in my under dress. It should suffice as a night gown and I crawled under the covers.

Nathan placed his sword near the bed in case of any danger before lying on the plush mattress by my side. After weeks, this will be the first time we share a bed. The mattress was large, but not as big as the one in the castle. Our arms were touching as we faced the ceiling.

I turned my body around and my back faced him, as he did the same. His front wasn't touching me, yet I felt the heat from it. There was too much tension for the both of us to sleep, yet there was no solution to it.

I felt an arm wrap around my waist as his body shifted slightly. My own body became rigid when I felt his mouth was near my ear. My heart beat accelerated and his breath blew in my neck.

"Goodnight, dear wife."

I felt him lowering his mouth, until it hovered above my sweet spot on my neck. I expected him to kiss it, but all he did was gently breathe on it until he lied beside me. With his arm still wrapped around my torso, I heard his light snores not long after.

"Good night, my love."

I whispered back, hoping he was asleep. The love I felt for him didn't waver for a moment, but unlike before, I decided to mellow down on my affection towards him.

After weeks of restless sleeping, for the first time I felt myself being lulled to sleep. With the warmth of the blanket and his body, it wasn't long before my own body took rest.

Before my eyes can open, my ear tentatively listens to the steady thumping of a heart. To be specific, the heart that belonged to the man I used as a pillow, to my husband whom I love. I listened to it's rhythmic thumping as it engulfed a sense of calmness.

I decide to open my eyes and am surprised at the darkness that surrounds me. I figured that the sun has not risen yet. I tilt my head and look up, expected to see my husband's sleeping figure and am surprised when I saw him staring down at me.

His eyes never left my own as our breaths and heart beat synchronized. I wanted to run my hands through his unruly curly hair, but stopped myself. His hands drew patterns on my back, the only barrier being my night dress.

"I'm sorry."

He whispered. His eyes held so much pain, guilt, and regret, as did his voice. My hand seemed to have a mind of his own and grazed his scruff and went to tame his unruly hair.

"For what?"

"For saying I do not love you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another chapter update. Comment your thoughts and don't forget to vote :)