▎ forty-eight

"She hates me," Yuta said. The young man dragged his feet towards the kitchen, feeling a little- no, a lot gloomy from earlier's event.

Yuta bumped his head on the kitchen counter and wriggled around like a fish out of water.

"She hates me, she hates me, she hates me, she hates me..."

Yuta was cut off by a 'tsk' and he spun around to see his sister, Momoka.

The boy raised his eyebrow, "What?"

Momoka only answered with a scoff. She jumped from her spot and sat on the table.

"What's up? Did you lose your goldfish?" Yuta's sister casually asked. Her voice sounded like she was chewing bubble gum.

Yuta didn't answer. But it wasn't long before little sobs were heard in the silent kitchen.

Yuta clutched the cloth of his sweatshirt. Momoka glanced at her brother. She expected to see her brother with a smile on his face, or at least his usual intimidating personality. But she did not expect a crying Yuta to come home. Weirdly, Yuta isn't someone who'd cry so easily. This must be something serious.

Surprised, Momoka walked to her brother and gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Oh Yuta, tell me about it." She said, attempting to not sound like a person at an opera.

Yuta avoided Momoka's gaze and continued to press his forehead against the cold table.

"Come on, you said no more keeping secrets." Momoka convinced.

Finally, after three minutes of silence. Yuta lifted his head.

Yuta shyly pulled his legs into his chest. From Momoka's point of view, Yuta looked so weak.

Weak;

That's not something that goes well with Yuta.

But Momoka instantly changed her mind when Yuta spoke with the softest voice.

"I screwed up..."

Momoka only nodded. She pursed her lips, not wanting to force Yuta into saying something that he doesn't want to reveal.

Momoka squeezed her brother's hand, "Maybe I can help?"

Yuta didn't budge.

Considering that the boy was lost in his train of thoughts, Momoka sighed.

"You still there or...."

No response.

"Hello?"

Still nothing.

Momoka understands that Yuta needs some alone time. But she also knows that maybe, just maybe... Yuta needs some girl advice.

"I'm guessing you made Eunsol hate you?"

Yuta looked up, meeting his sister's eyes. The young man gave a low nod as a reply.

"You know Yuta, you're like an open book."

This seemed to catch the younger's attention because he shifted from his seat.

Momoka nodded impressively, grateful that she finally got a movement from her brother.

"I know what you're trying to do. You act cold around Eunsol when clearly you like her..."

Yuta scoffed. "Apparently, she's the only one who can't see that."

"I bet not even your friends know. Why would you act like that to a girl you like?"

Another round of silence. That was enough time for Yuta to ask himself,