“Miss Park,” the man greeted her with a curt bow, whom Chaeng recognized from the hullabaloo at her bar some weeks ago courtesy of Jisoo and from Jennie’s press con earlier. “I shall take you to the President’s office now, ma’am,” the man said.

One of his companion – a tall, younger-looking male with a small face and prominent cheek bones led the way towards a private elevator. The other, the stout one with wide shoulders and a gloomy expression, was walking behind them. A-yeon was right. Security was, indeed, tight.

When they had all stepped in and the doors closed, they were then enveloped with uncomfortable silence. The men positioned around her but not too close enough, which she was silently grateful for because she was never really comfortable around men except with a selected few. The security stood in silence and were all staring ahead. Had their eyes been equipped with laser beams, they’d all have been burning holes on the elevator door, Chaeng humoured herself.

“I have not yet apologized for the inconvenience that my men and I had caused you and your place, Miss Park,” the familiar-looking man, who chose to stand beside her, said while the elevator button was now hitting fifteen.

Chaeng didn’t know exactly how to respond to that because he wasn’t exactly apologizing and it was more like Jisoo’s fault than anybody else, so she chose to just regard him with a quick glance but did not say a word.

“I hope your friend is doing well,” the man spoke again. He was talking about Lisa, or course. His voice was baritone. His manner was calm. As calm as he was when Chaeng saw him for the first time inside the Orange, pulling Lisa and Jennie away from the bedlam that Jisoo created and as calm as he was when he escorted Jennie away from the press earlier. But his jaws were set and his eyes were fixed on a particular spot on the spotless door and Chaeng wasn’t sure what to make of his emotions.

“After what your boss did today? I highly doubt she will be,” Chaeng said with an inadvertent clipped tone before the elevator stopped at the thirty-third floor.

Jennie’s top security man was the only person who joined her in stepping out of the elevator. The other two remained inside. They bowed to them before the door closed yet again and then there was another stretch of silence.

Mr Young led her to a long corridor with an immaculate granite floor and a series of lamps hanging on the ceiling. They walked down to a suite of offices and turned a corner where a wide oak door was waiting. A solitary desk was beside on its left and a woman, Jennie’s secretary, Chaeng presumed, instantly rose from her seat behind it. She greeted them with a courteous bow before throwing a curious look at her. The woman looked like Chaeng’s age. Like the woman on the ground floor who accommodated her, Jennie’s secretary was also a looker. She had a playful smirk hinting on the corner of her mouth as she looked from Mr Young to Chaeng with anticipation.

“Miss Roseanne Park is here to see President Kim,” Mr Young announced.

The secretary nodded before she left her desk to knock on the oak door. She went and reappeared few seconds later. This time, a polite smile was plastered on her face dedicated for Chaeng.

“President Kim is ready to see you, Miss Park,” the secretary told Chaeng before she pushed the door wider for her.

Chaeng was welcomed by a rush of cold air from the air condition system and the penetrating gaze of Jisoo Kim who was sitting on the black-leathered couch. When their eyes met, Jisoo raised her brows to her and offered her a smirk – the same smirk that Jisoo gave the media at the press con – and which Chaeng only responded with a slight movement of her brows. She heard Jisoo huffed faintly on her seat. Her eyes never left the redhead, which Chaeng hated at the moment. She had completely forgotten about the other Kim because her mind was too preoccupied with drafting her speech dedicated for Jennie. Did the woman not have better and more pressing things to do other than hang around Jennie’s side all day? But then again, of course Jisoo should be here. What was she expecting, anyway?