Chapter 46

His hand was resting on the smooth surface of the table before him as the fingers on his other hand was busy scratching the two-days old stubble on his chin. He had been quiet for some time and constantly throwing anxious glances at the bright screen of the device laid on the table. Where the photo of his daughter was kissing another woman. There was no mistaking it. He would recognize his Pranpriya at first glance, silhouette or not, or even in a sea of people. There was no mistaking the tall figure, the slim body and the side profile that he knew too well, especially the nose. They had the same slightly upturned nose.

The expression on his face was unreadable. But, of course, he had always been like that. He had mastered to mask his emotions, hide it from plain sight, tucked them away from everyone's scrutiny, because he didn't want to look vulnerable. He felt vulnerable at the moment.

"Your Majesty?" his assistant called, trying to pull him away from his reverie.

His Royal Highness finally let out a long sigh, one that he might have held in for so long without noticing it, and leaned back to his chair, looking like a defeat. He suddenly looked older than his age, his assistant noticed. His gray hairs and the thin lines on his face suddenly became more visible today. It was evident on his finely-structured features that he did not quite expect this kind of welcome for his morning. But who else would have had, His Majesty's assistant could only wonder. He still looked dashing, though. His Majesty was.

"She should've listened to me," His Majesty spoke quietly, more likely talking to himself than the man waiting for his disposal. His voice quivered a little, but his assistant thought it was due to the cold room temperature. The air system was set a little colder today because the heat outside was hotter than the past days.

"Her Royal Highness has a kindred and free spirit, Your Majesty," the assistant spoke politely.

"A rebellious soul and a stubborn head are what she have," His Majesty said, shaking his head. "Not that I blame her. She got that from me, as I am often reminded everytime I lay my eyes on her." He sighed. "Any news?" he inquired, hiding his fear of hearing more bad news.

"The team is already on their way to Her Royal Highness' place, Your Majesty," his assistant replied, not meeting His Majesty's eyes. He was standing a comfortable distance away from the table, as he should be. But, the distance between them felt unusual today. His Majesty looked like he was building a stone cold wall around him today, the way his eyes would stare at the walls across him, lost in his own train of thoughts.

"Why?" His Majesty asked, brows furrowed in confusion.

"Your Majesty?" the assistant asked, not quite sure what His Majesty was implying.

"Who ordered the team to go to my daughter's place?" His Majesty clarified himself.

"I believe it was the General, Your Majesty," the assistant provided the answer swiftly, but sounded a bit unsure. Because everything around him seemed like a blur after the article about The Crowned Princess started to circulate within the gates and walls of the palace.

Everyone was moving about in their most unusual pace. The kitchen staff were exchanging meaningful looks and nods with each other as they pass the halls. The guards on the gardens seemed flummoxed with what was happening. Even the chambermaids were unusually quiet today. And he couldn't imagine what might be happening outside the gates of the palace. On the streets, on the corners of the country, in the parliamentary halls on the grand palace. Everyone had grown edgy, by the looks of it. Including him, of course, but he wasn't showing it in front of His Majesty. Because never in his entire professional career as His Majesty's personal assistant had they encountered such scandal. Except, of course, during and after the royal divorce. It was a nightmare.