"And maybe because it's four AM and I'm supposed to be up in three hours." He argued, his eyebrows furrowed and mouth in anything but a smile.

"Right, that too." I did nothing but smile up at him. I plop down at the edge of his bed. I force my shoes off of my feet and pull them up to me, crossing my legs. "I'm going to school with you by the way. Since I'm already ready and things, there'd be no point in going back home."

He grabbed the blanket and draped it over my shoulders and sat down next to me. As angry as he seemed, he was still making sure I was okay.

"You can't, my parents cannot know you're here." He said sternly.

"It's fine, I'll meet you outside or something."

"Y/n, you can't keep doing this. What if my parents hear you or something?"

I try my best to reassure him in the best way possible. "It will be fine, stop worrying so much."

That best was sarcastic.

He did nothing but let out a frustrated sigh. He fell back onto his bed, extending his arms out. His hair was messy, different from how I've seen it every time before. He was wearing a t-shirt and long pajama pants. He looked comfortable how he was laying, his eyes shut peacefully, no longer looking frustrated.

I laid down too, my back falling over his right arm. He opened his eyes and turned his head to look at me, but I kept my head straight and my eyes closed.

"Why are you here though?" Ethan questioned.

I shrugged. "Just felt like it. Haven't seen you in a little bit, why not?"

He chuckled, turning his head back toward the ceiling. "You couldn't have waited a couple more hours?"

I shook my head, a wide smile on my face. "Absolutely not."

Ethan sat up, pulling his arm out from under me. He slid up to the top of the bed back where he was laying before I woke him up. Grabbing the edge of the blankets, he pulled them over himself and laid down comfortably. "I don't care what you do, as long ad you stay in this room and are silent. Goodnight."

He reached over to turn the lamp next to his bed off, but I grabbed that hand before he could and pulled him back up. "Etthhhh!" I wined. "What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, sleep?"

I deadpanned. "Yeah, not an option." I hopped up on my knees and grabbed his other hand to keep him from laying down. "You gotta stay awake with me."

"Y/nnn!" He wined this time. "I'm tired."

"I'll get you an energy drink on the way to school, it's fine." I smiled hopefully.

His tired eyes stared back at me, hoping maybe if he kept eye contact with me long enough then maybe I'd change my mind. Unfortunately for him, I don't work like that. I stuck my lower lip out and didn't break eye contact. After a couple seconds of silence, he sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Fine." He mumbled, defeated. "I prefer coffee though."

I nodded, a smug look plastered on my face. "You got it."

I released Ethan's hands and put my own in my lap. He sat there in silence for a moment, trying to wake himself up even more. Once he was finished rubbing his eyes though, he immediately pulled the blanket off of him and stood up. Without saying a word, he walked to his closest and pulled some clothes out.

I gave him a strange look. "What are you doing?"

"Grab your shoes and bag, we're going in the basement."

I didn't question anymore, but fixed my book-bag over my shoulders and pick up my shoes. With that, Ethan grabbed his phone and opened his bedroom door. Before he took a step outside, he looked back at me and sent me a serious look.

"You have to be quiet, okay?" He whispered.

I nodded, jokingly saluting him. Hesitantly, he took the first step out into the hallway and tiptoed down the couple of stairs there are down to the living room. We quietly passed the living room, the small light from over the stove illuminating the room enough to see our way to the basement door. Ethan was jumpy with ever small sound, stopping for a moment to check if he heard anything from his parents. When he was sure they were still asleep, he continued the way.

Once we reached the basement door, Ethan opened it slowly, trying to be as quiet as he could with the doorknob. He motioned for me to walk through first. I stepped down each step slowly, just in case one was loud. Ethan followed behind me, shutting the door almost silently. Once it was shut though, he whispered, "we're good."

Hearing that, I sped up my steps a little bit (but not too much). Once we were down there, Ethan flipped on the lights to reveal a big, carpeted room. A couch was placed against the wall on my right and a TV mounted on the left. On the other end of the room was a wooden table and benches on each side and a pool table. The room was somewhat messy, but that was understandable.

Ethan walked past me and opened a door next to the stairs and flipped the lights on in there. It was a small room, clearly where Ethan spent most of his time. Another TV was mounted against the wall, a twin sized bed on the opposite wall. By the foot of the bed was a big beanbag, the side of the bed acting like the back of a chair for the beanbag. A bookcase full of video games was placed under the TV, a console and controllers on the top of the case. At the side of the room, the wall opposite of the door, a small window near the ceiling showed the ground above us, and the dark sky outside. Under the window was a loveseat with a mess of blankets and wrappers and cans on it.

Immediately, I plopped down on the beanbag comfortably, placing my bag and shoes next to me. "I like this room."

He walked to the corner next to the loveseat and turned on a thin, tall light that gave the room a blue and purple glow. Once that was on, he turned off the overhead light and shut the door.

"Oh I like this room even more." I admired. Ethan chuckled, grabbing a controller and handing it to me.

He turned the TV and console on and told me to pick a game to play. After that, he left the room saying he'd be right back, his clothes in his hand.

I scanned the wide variety of video games. This was probably the only well kept thing in the room. Each disk was in its rightful case an every case was neatly put in the bookcase standing up, the spine facing out to see what each game is. Scanning all the titles, (video game) stuck out to me most. Making my decision on that one, I pulled it out of the shelf and popped open the case.

Right as I was going to take the disk out of its place, the door opened and Ethan walked back in, dressed in actual clothes and his hair combed. A colorblock hoodie with a small red box that said "Teddy Fresh" covered his torso, matched with black jeans. His glasses sat on his face and his shoes were in his hands until he dropped them by the door.

"Now we can just leave when it's time." He sighed, dropping down on the twin bed. He reached over and grabbed the other controller and turning it on. "What game did you pick?"

"(Video game)." I answered excitedly. I resumed taking the disk out and placed it in the console.

Ethan slid down off the bed to sit on the floor next to me. "Great." He smiled, almost as excited as I was.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline-  1-800-273-8255

Text options: text HOME to
US and Canada: 741741
UK: 85258
Ireland: 50808

YouthLine: text teen2teen to 839863 or call 1-877-968-8491