:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

"That's good!" she responded brightly. "I want us to be friends! I don't really have a lot of friends because..." She trailed off, suddenly losing her cheerfulness. "Never mind. I just hope we can be friends!"

I stared at her curiously. She definitely didn't seem like the type of person- er, vampire, that would be a loner. She was royalty, wasn't that a straight shot to popularity? Or was the vampire world different?

"But Emily..."

"Yeah?" I asked, pulling myself from my thoughts.

Fiona glanced at me from over her shoulder. "You'd do well to remember that not all vampires are your friends. Having fear might keep you alive."

Goosebumps spread over my skin. That made me feel safe.

"Emily! You finally decided to emerge from your cave?" Joel called, grinning as Fiona and I descended the steps into the mansion's basement.

I gave Joel a small smile. "Um, yep."

Vincent spared me a quick glance, rolling his eyes at me before looking away. In his left hand was a cue, which he was chalking with a small, blue chalk box in his right hand. My eyes switched back to Joel, who was also holding a cue. Behind him was the large pool table, the balls already set up in the triangle.

"Do you know how to play? I can teach you if you don't," Joel offered, moving towards me. He stopped a good three feet away. "Or would you rather I not come near you?"

A frown flitted across my face and I dropped my gaze. I felt guilty because Joel felt like he couldn't come near me. Guilty. Never in my life would I have guessed I'd feel guilty for a vampire. "Well I already know how to play, but I wouldn't mind some tips," I finally responded, taking a step forward. After a moment of hesitation, I put my hand on his shoulder. "Thank you."

A look of shock passed his face, and then a grin appeared on it. "Any time, Em."

"Sorry to ruin your fun, but Joel and I are playing a game," Vincent interjected, sending me an impatient look. "You'll have to wait."

"Will do," I replied quickly, turning my head away from him.

"Joel."

"Coming, Vivi!"

"Don't call me that!"

Joel held up his hands defensively. "Yes of course, Your Majesty."

Fiona beckoned me over towards a black, leather couch that rested against the wall of the basement. I sat next to her, my back rigid. It was still awkward to be in the presence of vampires. As much as I wanted to relax, there was a voice in the back of my head that constantly reminded me of I was in danger.

"Hey," Fiona started, gaining my attention. "It's in the human nature to feel always intimidated while you're in the presence of a vampire," she continued, as if she was reading my mind. "Trust me, I know. I got that feeling all the time when I was human. But you'll get used to it. Just try to relax."

I forced myself to relax my shoulders and lean against the back of the couch more comfortably. If I was going to be here for a week, I wanted to get used to it. Fast. "Where's Sebastian?" I asked, now noticing his absence.

Fiona shrugged. "Doing his princely duties I guess."

"Huh? But isn't Vincent a prince too?"

"Yes," she told me, "but Vincent isn't the heir to the throne so he doesn't have to do all that."

Vincent looked over at us when his name was mentioned. Instead of looking upset like I expected, he looked nonchalant. He caught my gaze. "What?" he demanded. "What's that look for?"