:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Eighteen

Being back in the human world was a bizarre change. Where the Rutherford Manor was- in their magical barricade, or whatever - it seemed to be always raining and gloomy. As soon as you stepped out of it (emerged from the woods, more like) the sun was shining brightly. Vincent, Sebastian, Fiona, and I all squinted our eyes as we drove into the sunny winter day. The sight of a familiar area was like a breath of fresh air to me. I sighed contently, sinking into my seat.

Saying goodbye to the King and Queen was a lot harder than I'd expected. It felt like I was saying goodbye to closer relatives I hadn't seen in a long time. Luella had promised me we'd see each other again and Solomon gave me his word he'd see to it. Knowing I'd see them again made me feel a little better, but it also made me feel depressed. Seeing them again almost meant having to deal with vampires again- setting aside Fiona, Vincent, and Joel, who decided last minute to enroll so Vincent wouldn't be totally alone.

A smile crossed my face when I thought Joel's profound apology. He'd practically dropped to his knees and begged for my forgiveness. After I'd accepted it, he berated me for not running away when I had a chance. I'd countered with something along the lines of, "I didn't know vampires existed until about a week and a half ago. How was I supposed to know you succumbed to animalistic instincts while hurt? And, if you haven't realized it, I healed you too." It's safe to say that shut him up.

"So what's the story, Emily?"

I pulled myself out of my reverie, my eyes snapping to Sebastian's emerald ones. "Sorry, what?"

He chuckled a low, deep chuckle. "What you're going to say if your friends ask you why Vincent is at your house?"

"My parents decided to take him in so he wouldn't have to be sent to a correctional institute for his uncontrollably bad behavior," I recited, trying my best to remember what Solomon told me.

"And how do your parents know him?"

"My dad's best friend's son...?"

He nodded his head appreciatively. "Very good, Emily."

Fiona giggled, glancing at Vincent. "His bad behavior? Well I guess it's partially true."

Vincent mock laughed, giving her a flat look. "You're hilarious, Fiona."

"Oh, I know."

"There's your school," Sebastian announced suddenly, causing everyone in the car to turn their head in the direction he pointed. My stomach lurched when my eyes landed on the familiar building. My school... It was the first time in my life I actually missed it.

"Are there a lot of cute boys there?" Fiona twittered excitedly.

I cocked an eyebrow, turning to her. "Not too many. Not compared to you vampires, at least."

Sebastian caught my eye in the rearview mirror. "You've only met a few vampires who are exceptionally handsome; not all of us are good looking."