[8]

Hogwarts, September, fourth year

They were the first to arrive at their Defence Against the Darks Arts class, their grins simultaneously slipping from their faces as they took in the classroom.

Mahogany tables lined the east and west walls of the room, leaving a vast area of open, marble floor in the centre of the room. The surface of the worktops had become a wasteland for discarded textbooks, all of which were shut. Professor Merrythought stood at the head of the room, hands clasped together in front of her chest, posture pin-straight and her features looking sharper than usual in the flickering candlelight that lit the room in four horizontal rows, a line on every wall.

She glanced at Abby, whom of which had allowed her features to slacken in dread. Annette however, couldn't bring herself to match the feeling. Instead, a rush of excited anticipation and adrenaline caused her to smother a smile.

They were going to duel.

Behind them, other students began to fill the hallway, creating a sea of people and Annette suddenly realised that the two still lingered in the doorway of the classroom and abruptly tugged her friend away.

It was like breaking a dam wall, once they'd moved, a seemingly endless amount of students flooded in behind them. Looking around, she could see the exact moment that the realisation of today's lesson settled upon their faces; it took everything within her not to scowl as she realised Riddles delicate features mirrored her own wicked delight.

Professor Merrythought stepped towards the centre of the room, pulling a scroll of parchment from within her robes and settling her gaze on the students. "Ah, welcome. I'm sure many of you have guessed what today's lesson will entail, but I shall inform you anyway, if only for the benefit of those slightly denser among you." She gave a pointed look towards Jacob and several of the boys surrounding Riddle. "Today you will all be partnered up - do not fret, you've been picked by your capability and skill - and will participate in a short duel, showing off what you've learnt so far during your time at Hogwarts."

A low murmur of chatter sounded from around her as everyone took in their elders words. Annette glanced around at everyone else, she was more than curious to find out who her partner would be. Unfortunately for her, her gaze caught that of Tom Riddle and her features only darkened in annoyance as he held her stare; although, a cruel triumph washed over her as she noticed his jaw clench.

The sound of crinkling paper snatched her, alongside everyone else's, attention towards the front of the classroom. The professor had unrolled the parchment, stretching her arms out to their full length and held the list of names in front of her.

"Miss Woods, you will be duelling Mr Locke,"

From beside her, Abby exhaled in relief and she offered a smile to a Gryffindor boy who stood across the room dragging a chocolate coloured hand through his short, brown hair. He offered her a charming grin in response, hazel eyes glimmering in the tortchlight. His features appeared as though they'd been carved from one of the richest, most beautiful pieces of ebony. Realisation dawned, that must be Azriel Locke.

The list of names continued and Annette tuned out the Professors words, unintentionally of course, as she pondered a question that had been troubling her for a while. Upon hearing her name however, her muscles tensed and she decided that she'd ask professor Merrythought the question after class. Finally.