[9]

Hogwarts, September, fourth year

The sound of footsteps heading in the opposite direction told Annette that the lesson was over. She lurked in the shadows for a moment, wringing out some of the water in her ebony hair using both hands, then wiped them across the front of her robes. Raising an eyebrow, the girl took note that Abby lingered near the doorway, her emerald eyes darting around the now empty room. Annette made a point of catching her gaze, stepping out of the shadows ever so slightly. A small inclination of her head was all that was needed to urge her friend out of the room.

Her fingertips fumbled around the inside of her robes, patting and searching to no avail. She groaned. Of course, she'd left her diary in the girls dormitory- at least it was safely tucked away inside her bedside drawer. Should anyone come across it and read its contents, well, that would be unfortunate. For them.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound of her leather flats tapping against the cobblestone floor drew attention to her figure as it retreated out of the shadows. Professor Merrythought, bless her soul, whirled around to face the sound, hand clutching her chest as if she could reach through her ribs and hold onto her heart, stopping its rapid pounding. Her frail features fluttered with relief as she took note of the student.

"Oh dear, you mustn't sneak up on me like that. You gave me quite the fright!" Despite herself, the thought made Annette's lips twitch upwards in amusement. "Ah, never mind. Do you need something, dear?"

The younger girl swallowed the lump that had been forming in her throat, slipping out of her cool indifference as easily as taking off a cloak. Forcefully, she plastered on a smile and further approached the teacher. "I have a question about the school's curriculum," her tone was as sweet as pure sugar, "if you don't mind me asking."

Professor Merrythought waved her hand in dismissal, shaking her head as though Annette had told a joke. "Of course not, dear, ask away."

She drew her eyebrows together in exaggerated curiosity, angling herself so that the flames lining the wall caught her eye and gave them a small, innocent gleam. "I've been informed that Durmstrang Institute learn the Dark Arts. I was simply wondering why it's not on our curriculum too."

The older woman pinched the bridge of her nose, casting the girl a wary gaze, as though searching for any ulterior motives. "Well, dear, the kind of magic that they learn is.. dangerous. It is unwise for children to know such spells. Durmstrang is notorious throughout history for-" her eyes widened as she cut herself off, "the point is, dear, it's simply not safe to learn."

A strong urge to roll her eyes hit Annette like a ton of bricks but she fought it desperately. Instead, she tilted her head to one side. "Surely, though, it would benefit our knowledge to learn such spells. Take this class for example, wouldn't it be much easier to learn how to properly defend ourselves against the dark arts if we understood the spells being used against us?"

"Well," professor Merrythought drew her brows together, and whether the expression she wore was confusion, concern or suspicion, Annette wasn't sure, "today's duel proved that your knowledge on the defensive side of the dark arts is extensive anyways, as is Mr Riddle's. You two make quite a pair when it comes to duelling."

Annette blinked, slowly, in annoyance. That didn't answer her question.

Before she could inquire further, the teacher opened her mouth once more, "well i have lessons to prepare and you have lessons to attend, i shall see you next time Miss Bailey."