[13]

Hogwarts, July, Fourth Year

Like a phantom, he lurked in the crevices of the hallway, his robed figure hidden by the long stretches of shadows cast by the many torches that lined Hogwarts' towering walls. His actions were akin to a predator, stalking its prey and learning its schedule so that he could narrow down the perfect time to strike. To go in for the kill.

Tom Riddle's dark eyes narrowed into harsh slits as his gaze singled in onto the Slytherin girl with brunette hair who rounded the corner. Her footsteps were hurried, and Tom took note of the way that she clutched her leatherbound diary to her chest. Typically, something as dull as an ordinary girls diary would not peak his interest but Annette Bailey was not a normal girl; she knew magic that someone their age should not have even been able to comprehend, let alone use. Though, he was the exception of course, but Tom Riddle had always been different.

Even during his early childhood, he had been able to do things that the others could not - he'd assumed himself to be unique, rare unlike his namesake. Imagine his annoyance when it was made clear to him that there were others like him, a whole world of them. But even here, at Hogwarts, he did not fit in. Riddle had never come across someone who shared his dark and power hungry outlook on life; as much as they pretended, even his admirers could not fathom his lack of desire for love or friendship.

The only emotions he had ever felt were anger, hatred and disgust. Well, that wasn't entierly true. Curiosity sparked within him whenever he thought about Annette Bailey, it was pestering, like an annoying fly that insisted on buzzing near your ear while evading any attempts of capture.

He hated it.

Which is why it had been most irritating when he had been approached by headmaster Dippet and informed about the ... unfortunate situation Annette had found herself in. As someone who had spent almost all of his memorable years at the orphanage, it was now his responsibility to ensure she made it there safely and settled in well. He'd almost scoffed at the request: nobody would ever settle in well at WOOLS oprhanage. It instilled fear, even into him. Though, Riddle was quite eager to see if Annette would succumb to the cruel children and the evil building.

Stepping out of the shadows and directly into her path, he spoke cooly, "Where are you off to in such a hurry Miss Bailey."

**

His presence had caught her so off guard that she was unable to stop herself from bumping right into his chest, her diary falling to the floor with a large 'thud'.

Immediately she reached down to pick it up, her mind spinning with worry at the mere idea of him laying his hands on the only thing she had left that gave her any sense of identity. Her family was gone, her home too and she'd be damned if she let her diary slip out of her reach -

Though, apparently her melancholy thoughts had lasted longer than a few seconds because when she zoned back into reality, her eyes had been intently locked onto the wall across from her. She was half crouched, her hand outstretched but where her diary had been was now empty space.

"Miss Bailey," Riddle's voice came out as a bored drawl and her eyes snapped up to his outstretched hand that held her diary, "I believe this is yours."

She snatched it from him without so much as a thank you, while pushing herself to her feet and narrowing her eyes suspiciously at him. Annette did not speak, simply stared at him with imptiently raised eyebrows - she had never been scared of him, but there was a tine when he had intimidated her. Not anymore.

In the months after the news of her parents deaths, she had been, admittedly, a mess. She'd barely eaten, barely left her dorm besides to attend classes - though even then she sat impassively through them. She'd become so immersed in her studies in an attempt to shut out the outside world and the hurt that reality brought along with it, that she'd even begun to shut out Abby and Jacob.

A few months ago however, she had found herself staring out at the world from the astronomy tower, her knuckles strained and white as she gripped the safety rails. She'd been contemplating the invisibility cloak and why her parents would have given it to her when a butterfly had landed on the back of her hand. It was gorgeous, with swooping pink wings interlaced with spirals of blue and purple. It was gone within seconds but it was enough time for Annette to realise that there was still love left in the world for her and she still had love to share. She would forever remember the solitary butterfly for showing her that there was beauty in independence and strength.

From that day on, Annette vowed to live for herself, she was allowed to be selfish because at the end of the day, the only person she had ever been able to rely on was herself. And besides Jacob and Abby, the world had shown her little kindness so she would no longer waste hers on people who did not deserve it.

Annette Bailey would never cower again. She had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

"I will be escorting you to the orphanage at the end of this month. We will be staying there for the summer after which, I will be ensuring you make it back to Hogwarts." Riddles voice was clipped though he'd schooled his featres into nonchalance - Annette could tell that he thought that this task was beneath him and she reveled in his irritation, though there was something glistening in his dark eyes that she could not identify. But it was enough to halt any pleasure she got from his annoyance.

Her lips thinned, "How lovely. Though I am surprised that you would extend such kindness to me... however shall I repay you!" Sarcasm dripped from her voice and she wasted no time in shouldering past him and continuing her journey towards the common rooom.

Her eyes dipped to assess her diary and her steps came to an immediate halt. Externally, it seemed identical to her diary, but as she moved her thumb from the corner of the book, there was a small golden plate with the initials T.M.R engraved in elegant letters. Panicked, she flicked open the book and, to her horror, instead of her sketches and annotations, every single page was blank.

Turning on her heel, she made to advance towards Riddle but...

The corridor was empty.