70 - As Long As You Love Me

Start from the beginning

John held out a medium-sized gift bag to her, with a cheery smile, "Don’t think we forgot - happy birthday, Elizabeth!"

"Yes, happy birthday! There are a few things in there from John and I."

"Oh, thank you both so much - I never expected anything, you know."

"Nonsense. We like to spoil our nearest and dearest."

Being called 'near and dear' warmed her heart more than Mrs Hudson could ever know. She embraced the landlady and doctor together muttering more thanks. As Elizabeth pulled away she asked:

"So where's Sherlock?"

"Sherlock is upstairs, waiting for you." John answered, sharing a little knowing look with Mrs H, "Have a lovely night."

"Aren't you...staying?" Elizabeth frowned, "You do live here John."

"The flat has been reserved for the two of you tonight. I'm staying over at a friend's."

"He means his new girlfriend's place." Mrs H elaborated.

"You have a - "

"New girlfriend, yes. No time to get into that now, you have Sherlock to go to." John took her by the shoulders and maneuvered her over to the stairs, "You will have a lovely time."

"Uh - "

"Go on, love, you know Sherlock won't bite."

"Okay...until later then..." Elizabeth nodded, apprehensively climbing the stairs although interested as to what had been done.

When she walked into the living room of 221B, her eyes lit up, adoring the sight before her. The fire was lit, casting friendly shadows across the room and warming her freezing body, fairy lights were strung across furniture and the walls, a little 'happy birthday' banner was stuck near the spray-paint smiley face and Sherlock (who was wearing his thin burgandy gown over his attire) was stood by the now tidied living room table, where a bouquet of vibrant, beautiful, breath-taking blue orchids sat between two plates of food. In the background she could just make out the quiet tune of Dusty Springfield's I Only Want To Be With You.

Sherlock felt like he had fallen in love all over again at seeing the warmest, most loving smile ever cross her dark pinkish lips.

"Do you like it?"

Elizabeth's eyes fell on the detective once again and she tilted her head with an adoring sigh. She nodded as she approached him, "Thank you so much - I - I don't even know what to say - I didn't - "

"Expect it. I know. But I wanted to do something special for you - especially after the chaos of the past week so - um - happy birthday."

The thief pecked him on the cheek before setting down her gift bag just under the table, "Thank you."

"It wasn't just me." He said quickly, a reddish hue rising in his cheeks, "John and Mrs Hudson helped."

"I gathered considering you walk slower than an elderly woman." She teased.

"Mrs Hudson wouldn't appreciate that."

"You know full well that I didn't mean her especially when she could run laps around you."

The two chuckled together, a melody they both unknowingly loved. Sherlock moved to pull her chair out for her and she politely took a seat, assuring him she would pull her own chair in considering he wasn't meant to be doing any heavy lifting at all.

As he took his own seat, Sherlock said, "Nobody told me cooking was rocket science but I - tried to make your favourite."

While the presentation wasn't that stunning, it was certainly the thought that counted. She reached across the table to hold his hand with a soft, sweet smile.