chapter 20

(chapter 19 has since been unpublished. previously contained a sex scene)

-

i gather food onto my plate during breakfast the next morning, examining the widespread set out in front of me. i flip through my ancient runes textbook, studying for my assessment first period as i pick at my meal

suddenly, i feel a hand rest on my shoulder, and i look back to see adrian standing behind me

"vaisey's out for the rest of the season" he says grimly, a wide frown on his face

"what?!" i exclaim, dropping my fork and turning my head to him

"i know, we're fucking screwed-"

"mind getting your hand off my girlfriend?"

i look back, seeing draco standing on the other side of the table, glaring over at adrian. i shrug my shoulder, getting his hand to move away.

"just a pat on the shoulder, mate" adrian chuckles, but draco's face remains stone cold, "sorry, i-" adrian clears his throat, "didn't realize you two were that official"

neither had i. draco hadn't really... defined the terms of our relationship since everything started up again. i feel like i haven't heard him refer to me as his girlfriend in ages.

"yeah well, we are" draco raises his eyebrows

"alright" adrian says awkwardly, looking back down at me, "well, y/n, like i was saying about vaisey-"

"is y/n your new co-captain?" draco interrupts as he sits down. adrian shakes his head quickly, "then go ask urquhart for advice on the team"

"draco" i say, tilting my head and glaring at him disapprovingly

"no, that's alright" adrian glares back at draco, "i'll talk to you at practice later anyways" he shrugs, taking a few steps back and then walking down the table towards the students in his grade

"was any of that necessary?"

draco shrugs, picking up a piece of toast and placing it on his plate, i sigh, "he was just telling me that our new seeker is out of commission- thanks to goyle- you know you don't have to be so rude all the time" he looks up at me, taking a bite of his toast but staying silent, "just do me a favor and don't be an ass to everyone? okay?"

he takes a sip of water, nodding his head, "okay", i give him a small smile, starting to turn back to my food before he speaks again, "i'll stop being an ass when pucey stops staring down your shirt"

"you- wait- he was not-"

"he was"

"you're delusional"

"he's still staring over at you right now, what a perv-"

"draco!" i exclaim. he raises his eyebrow, nodding his head to the left subtly. i move my gaze over, seeing adrian at the end of the table with the other quidditch boys, his eyes on me. i look back at draco, seeing him smile smugly

i clear my throat, tugging on the back of my sweater to pull it up, "well, thank you for getting rid of him-"

"you're welcome-"

"i wasn't finished" i tilt my head. he rolls his eyes, sighing and raising his eyebrows, indicating for me to continue, "just- just be nicer next time- at this rate the whole house is going to hate you by year's end-"

"god knows if i'll be here by years end-"

"draco-" i sigh, putting my head in my hand and stopping my thoughts as theo and pansy approach, taking a seat next to us.