chapter 64

WARNING: sad ‼️‼️‼️‼️ battle moment‼️‼️‼️‼️

———————————

hogwarts looks shockingly different.

i apparate just outside of the wards, as close as i can get without being splinched.

i can see the sparks of spells in the distance. i can smell the smoke before i see the fire.

it's dark. and the stench of cursed magic hangs in the air, weighing me down with each step.

the heavily set wards surrounding the castle are just appearing as i stepped through. a minute later and i would have been blocked out.

i made it just in time.

the fighting's ceased, for a moment. the death eater's that had breached the perimeter were dealt with. the rest of their forces blockaded out by the new wards.

it's eerily quiet as i sprint up the hill, past the quidditch pitch, and to the nearest door, i could find.

chaos was the only way to describe what was happening inside.

student's are everywhere, some shouting to their friends to run, or hide, others urging everyone to fight.

people are gathered in corners, planning their attacks. coordinating how they were going to strike should the need arise.

i run past them all, making a beeline for the stairs. i nearly trip down them as i run at a breakneck pace— something in my gut telling me to search the dungeons first.

the slytherin hall is not hectic— not at all. in fact, it's completely empty.

i hesitantly mutter the password, and the stone of the wall parts for me.

nearly a year, it's been, and it's as though nothings changed.

the common room looks elegant as ever, the students inside of it seeming nowhere near as tense as the one's upstairs.

except for theo— he's pacing back and forth behind the couch.

his head snaps to me, and he freezes.

"you came," he says quietly, looking at me almost in shock.

blaise and pansy, who had been sitting on the couch, now turn to face me as well, looking equally starstruck.

i nod my head, taking a few steps further in.

"why are you all... down here?" i say slowly, looking around the common room. a few familiar faces line the corners, chatting amongst themselves.

blaise groans, turning and stuffing his head into a pillow. pansy bites at her lip nervously.

theo meets my eyes, "well—"

"someone thought it would be a bright idea to suggest turning potter over to voldemort," blaise finishes, straightening up and glaring directly at pansy.

"blaise," theo sighs, "it wasn't quite—"

"there he is! someone grab him!" blaise mocks, waving his hands in the air. "unbelievable," he mutters, leaning his head back into the pillow.

pansy eyes me nervously, giving a small shrug.

"it's going to end that way anyways," pansy says quietly. "it has too. father says it's all to do with some prophecy. voldemort's going to get to harry one way or another— i was just trying to move it along so less people had to die in the process."