Season 4: Episode 16

Start from the beginning

"These are solid foundations for a happy and endearing home." The officiant looks up from her book with a smile.

I know what's coming next, so I prepare myself for the attention to be focused on Megan and me.

"Megan, do you take Samantha to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Megan looks at me and gives me a smile filled with so much joy that it makes my stomach squeeze.

"I do," she says.

"Do you promise to love and protect her? To honor and respect her? To keep her, in sickness and in health, through the good times and through the bad times? And do you promise to always be faithful to her, and only her?"

"I do."

By this point, we're looking at each other, and I watch Megan mouth the words of promise with a full heart. There's no doubt in my mind that she will because she's consistently done those things since meeting me. I reach out and grab her other hand, knowing it's my turn to make her promises.

"Samantha, do you take Megan to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do," I answer confidently.

"And do you promise to love and protect her? To honor..."

The officiant fades out for a moment, but that's okay, because I know I'd do whatever I needed to keep her in the days to come. I will protect her, and I will love her, no matter what, because that's the minimum Megan deserves from me. I would move Heaven and Earth for her if need be, and there was no doubt about that in my mind. Not anymore.

"I do," I confirm as I watch tears of joy form on Megan's waterline.

"Megan, can you repeat after me..."

Megan nods and begins to repeat the words. I picture what my life will be like a few years from now and feel desperate to be there now, but I sit back and tell myself to enjoy the ride.

"Now Sam, repeat after me..."

"I, Sam, take you, Megan, to be my lawfully wedded wife," I say, attempting to keep my voice from trembling. "To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better and for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish forever..."

By this point, both Megan and I are smiling like idiots, suppressing our emotions the best we can while Blair eagerly snaps pictures around us. Megan is close to tears but is doing a great job holding her composure. I tell her it's okay to cry silently, and she laughs out a sob in response.

"Now that you two have joined yourselves in solid matrimony, and have become one, may you two sincerely strive all your lives to meet this commitment with the same love and devotion that has brought you here today...

"By the virtue of authority invested in me..." the officiant finishes. "It is my pleasure to say, that from this moment on, you are now wife and wife, and may now seal it with a kiss."

I eagerly pull Megan into me and press our lips together. The taste of salty water lets me know she's crying, but it's no doubt from pure joy. The relief I feel knowing we will be a team from here on out causes tears to form for me as well, but I try to hold it together just a little longer. The love I feel in this room threatens to send me over the edge regardless.

We end the kiss in an attempt not to get carried away, but my arms wrap around her for a hug. Her lips kiss my ear and she whispers that she loves me. I eagerly do the same. In the corner of my eye, I see Shawn and Blair blotting away their own tears with tissues. Suddenly, the strongest sense of happiness I've ever felt surrounds me.