Rumors

Later that night, I wrote Darla another lengthy letter

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Later that night, I wrote Darla another lengthy letter. I knew this would become a habit - even a way to escape the world around me if only for a moment while pouring my feelings and emotions so as not to burden those around me. The last thing any of the men would need on their shoulders was to hear my sobs and complaints. I would save those for Darla so she could bring me back to the present by any means necessary.

I found a small, semi-hidden spot on a hilltop overlooking Brecourt Manor, where a lot of the men gathered to stare across the grassy fields to a small town a few miles off in the distance, currently ablaze. The enemy was decimating the town, illuminating the midnight sky with a stunning, yet terrifying array of reds and oranges. I stopped writing my letter to watch the glowing fires spread across the night sky like a blanket. 

I tore my gaze away from the distant blaze to scan the immediate area around me, studying each man nearby. I came to realize at that moment - even if I felt alone, I had people surrounding me who felt the same way. It was a bittersweet comfort knowing I was never truly alone. As I continued to take in the faces of the men surrounding me, my eyes fell upon Winters. I watched for a while as he gazed upon the fires. He never saw me in my hidden spot but I could see his regrets and remorse over whatever happened at Brecourt Manor weighing on his shoulders.

After he turned and headed back into Brecourt, I turned my eyes to the blaze before they drifted up to the sky. I could see Polaris, the north star - the one Webster showed me. I smiled as I thought about him but felt the tears running down my cheeks in quick succession. I prayed wherever he was at this moment, he was safe, alive, and we'd be reunited soon because I missed him dearly.

I barely slept that night. I couldn't calm down enough to allow myself a moment's rest. Every time my eyes started to close, a nearby noise or voice would startle me awake. Feeling frustrated at the lack of sleep, I stood up and began to walk about the camp, hoping to tire myself out.

Quite a few sentries were guarding the camp and keeping watch, so I didn't feel nervous as I made my rounds. As I roamed the grounds aimlessly, I heard a voice cut through the silent night behind me. "Nurse Banks? What are you doing up at this hour?"

I jumped, slightly startled, whirling around to confront my visitor. The silhouette in the shadows was familiar to me. "I-I couldn't sleep, sir."

Stepping into the moonlight and out of the darkness, Speirs eyed me suspiciously. "Why is that, Nurse Banks?"

I bit the inside of my lip, trying to hide my nervousness from him. "I...I don't know."

"Yet you felt you were safe enough to roam the camp by yourself at this hour?" he questioned, stopping closer to me. He pointed toward the men guarding the camp. "Do you realize one of the sentries could have shot you if they thought you were the enemy?" He stepped towards me again, causing my nerves to run wild.

I stammered, "I-I d-didn't think - "

"That's right. You didn't think," he cut me off. His tone of voice mirrored the frustration behind his expression. He wasn't necessarily angry with me but there was something else lingering behind his gaze I couldn't place my finger on.