𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟿 - 𝙷𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂𝚎𝚎𝚔

Flashback 15 years ago

Laughs.

The house was filled with laughs.

Her laughter was so free and pure, so childish despite her adult years. It came to her ears as a tickle and bounce - and only a rocky heart could do anything but join in such generous mirth. You could hear her sweet, joyful laughter from a mile away, it would echo through the halls and into every room in the house, and would cheer everyone up. A laugh that Nabi didn't hear since her dad was gone.

She knew that her mommy was scared and sad, but every time the little girl would look at her, she would gift Nabi the sweetest smile she could ever manage to give her.

That's why Nabi decided to make a beautiful present for her mother. Because mommy was strong.

She would always tell her daughter that 'a handmade gift contains all the sweetest memories that cannot be forgotten'. But Nabi didn't know that in moments she would find out that her mom will be soon a memory.

Trotting from the hallway into the kitchen, the little girl walked over to the table, and there she saw her mom with another woman.

Nabi froze in place and this action caught the eye of both ladies at the table.

Her mother smiled fondly at the daughter and called by waving her hand: "Come, sweetie! Mom has someone special to present to you!"

Nabi hesitantly walked over to her mom and looked up at the other woman. And the latter gave the cute girl a loving smile and ruffled her messy hair: "Hey baby! It's nice to finally meet you! I'm Mrs. Lee or you can call me simply Jangmi. I've been your mom's best friend since we were in diapers!"

Nabi smiled: "Oh...that means you were best friends for a long time! Because mom is really old..." the girl pointed out with a thinking face.

The two adults looked at each other and laughed, they laughed hard that tears made up in the corners of their eyes. Seeing her mom laughing after a while brought a genuine smile to the child's face. Her mom was happy, so she was too.

The little girl took a smooth stone from her pocket and gave it to her mother.

The brown-haired lady smiled at her and gave it to her friend's hands to show the beautiful drawing Nabi had made on the stone. There was illustrated Nabi holding tightly the hand of her mom and dad and all three stylized characters were smiling happily.

Mrs. Lee or Jangmi's lips quirked upwards in a joyous smile: "Oh...what cute little orcs do we have here? Oh, there's also Fiona! You're really good at drawing, Jayuin!"

The woman looked up and saw Nabi pouting angrily and her arms crossed over her little chest and her mother giving at Mrs. Lee an 'abort the mission' look.

"That's not what Picasso would say to such a piece of art!" Nabi flipped a strand of her hair and went to play with her little dollhouse near the kitchen table.

Mrs. Lee trying to suppress a laugh went near Nabi to apologize: "I'm sorry...Please can you forgive me?"

Nabi looked at her sideways and brought a hand on her hip, while dramatically waving a doll's spatula: "Mrs. I'm busy right now...can I ignore you some other time?"

The woman was left astonished and looked behind her to see that Nabi's mother was already red from containing her tears and laughter that would break out in moments.

"Well...then. How about playing together? Which doll can I use?"

"The one who does the dishes"