lxxxvi. a cry for help

Start from the beginning

There is a reason Vera never let herself think about it too much.

She has so much to lose now.

The mermaid Queen walks towards Èowyn, who is conversing rather quietly with Èomer about something Vera is not sure about, but she doesn't bother asking. Her cousin immediately brightens at Vera's appearance, ignoring whatever it is that Èomer said to her as she turns around completely, obscuring Vera's view from Èomer. She raises an eyebrow.

"Vera!" Èowyn chirps. She seems to be rather enthusiastic despite the time. It must be the wine.

"Èowyn!" Vera greets back, just as cheerily, though her tiredness is evident.

"What brings you here? Are you finished with the napkins?" Èowyn asks, her motherly voice coming out as she worriedly inspects Vera. Vera frowns.

"Err, yes. They are at the tables over there. Listen, I'm planning to take some rest from the...environment here. I think I'll take Èmiliya and Edmund with me; those poor things must be in need of a break, as well. Do tell Henry when he's done flirting with Hope," Vera informs Èowyn, rolling her eyes playfully at the last part. The shieldmaiden giggles.

"Will do, Vera. Get some rest. I will see you later," Èowyn bids her farewells, embracing Vera warmly as she places a chaste kiss on Vera's forehead.

The mermaid feels her stomach flutter and she smiles.

Vera departs from the sibling duo, flashing Èomer a quick smile — which is returned half-heartedly — before bringing herself over to the table consisting of the passed out men and the bored children. She approaches them quietly, ensuring that her presence doesn't alarm them anymore...or awaken Gimli and Grimmund. As much as she knew it wasn't good, she wanted to let the children have some fun...and entertain herself in some sort of way.

She supposes seeing bugs crawling all over their faces is enough.

Edmund sees her instantly, and he inches closer to Èmiliya protectively, giving Vera a glare. The mermaid chuckles to herself at the scene; Edmund obviously didn't need someone taking his best friend and leaving him alone to take care of two, overgrown men. Thankfully, though, Vera is here to save them both. Perhaps this will gain her some favor with Edmund, who seems to resent her presence quite a bit. She didn't really blame him.

"Well, what are you rascals up to?" Vera breaks the silence between the group, causing an instant reaction from everyone.

Edmund considerably pulls Èmiliya closer to him while the little girl struggles to swat him off in her excitement of having her friend here, while Gimli and Grimmund stir simultaneously. Vera rolls her eyes dramatically at the scene but she couldn't banish the smile breaking on her visage; they were all so adorable.

"Vera!" Èmiliya exclaims excitedly but cringes after Vera and Edmund shush her loudly. "Sorry...Vera!" she repeats in a whispered tone.

Vera grins. "Well, well, well...look what we have here. I don't reckon it's enjoyable watching two overgrown men snore on one another, isn't it?" They shook their heads and grumbled. "No, I didn't think so. What do you both say about running around for a while, and then returning home? The fires are still lit, and as long as there is light, the night is as young as ever." They hesitate. Vera smiles. "I won't begrudge you both of anything. I promise."

That seemed to do the trick, as the two children brightened immediately. In seconds, they were scrambling to get away from the table of snoring and snotty men, threatening to attack one another in an effort of getting away. Vera could hear them chirping 'tag!' at one another, and sighs to herself. Maybe she should have enlisted some sort of limits; she didn't need anyone to get hurt now.