Kabanata 21

Mulai dari awal

"If I need to stop a year, I don't care, Avi! Even if it's graduation year!" She became distant again when she moved away from me and looked at the grass.

"Were you hearing yourself? Why are you so stubborn, Mia?  You don't need to stop! Oh my, you are such... We're near! Almost there! You were kidding about slipping away, weren't you? After all you went through, ngayon ka pa bibitiw, huh?" 

"You don't understand—"

"That's the problem! How do I get it kung hindi mo sinasabi—"

She also cut me off. "Akala ko ba naiintindihan mo ako? I thought you're patient?"

Okay. I was frustrated. Napahilamos ako sa face. "But until when? Mia... when?" I feel so weak. I don't know about the sudden loss of patience to thirst.

"Kapag kaya ko na."

Silence. Pure silence came as my heart throbbed in pain and soreness. Until I speak with decisiveness. 

"I'll call your Mom."

"No, Avi. You don't want to go down that road."

"I will. Watch me." 

With that, I took out the phone from my bag. Mia suddenly became attentive as she managed to steal my phone out of my hand.

"What are you doing?! I said no—"

"Give it back to me! Mia!"

On normal days, I'd probably laugh my soul out while watching Mia run like a kid who's going to be cursed by her parents. Today, nothing fun came as sorrow pierced into my soul. Watching her run in oblivion as if her life depends on it, and seeing her wail, as if her life would be a complete waste, once I grab back my phone from her hold to call his mother... is something I couldn't imagine before.

She looked so desperate and miserable. "Mia! C-come back here! P-please..."

Hindi ko alam kung matatawa ba ako o lalong maiiyak when the heavy rain started to pour. Time seems to coincide with the drama of our lives. My pace slowed down when Mia stopped. Her body shivered from the cold caused by the rain, along with his incessant crying.

My phone...sira na dahil it became wet.Then she has nothing to worry about now. I can no longer make a call. I shook my head. How can I think of my phone right at this moment?

"Mia!" I once again called her name. Nanghihina akong napatigil nang makita ko sa malapitan how much she was hurting.

Her knees fell to the ground while the rain endlessly drops along with her heavy tears. "Ah!" she wept. "I hate my life! I fucking hate it! I fucking hate you Dad! It fucking hurts so much! Can't I be free? Can't I be happy?"