five.

after wilbur had hesitantly agreed to hold alex's hand on the way to the established cafe, the rest of their walk wasn't as frightening for him.

not that he was scared of not being able to spend time with alex, that is.

"alright, what do you want to have? i'll order for you!" alex offered, beaming at him. his smile kept catching wilbur off-guard, and every time he saw that naive, upbeat face looking at up him, his heart practically burst out of his chest. he was so flustered by him.

it was infuriating at times.

"i guess... i don't know. i'll have a milkshake or something, i guess? what the hell are those called again? frappuccinos? yeah. just get one you'd think i'd like- yeah." he managed to stutter, speaking roughly, quickly, and without thought. you'd think by his words he'd never visited starbucks before.

alex smiled--for once, not jokingly flirting. both a relief and a disappointment. "alright! you can go find us a seat, i guess!" wilbur smiled slightly, although the look in his eyes told a different story.

alex blinked for a moment before smirking. "love ya!~" he added loudly, walking over to the line.

wilbur couldn't help but blush violently at those abrupt words, soon pushing his way through the little cafe to find a good seat--thankfully, he found a little table with some cushioned chairs in a private corner. geez, it was like alex wanted to embarrass him. it was both a nightmare and a dream--but he didn't mind it all too much.

tapping on his phone, wilbur decided impulsively to text tommy--they were still in contact, actually, wilbur knowing his father and all. he didn't know if the text would go through, but it'd be something to keep his mind off stupid, annoying, nice, cute alex- god, he needed to stop thinking about it.

wilbur: hey

wilbur: hey tommy

surprisingly, he got a quick response.

tommy: oh hey wil. what's up? studying for exams rn

wilbur: im at starbucks

tommy: cool

wilbur: with quackity

tommy didn't respond for a solid 10 seconds.

tommy: excuse me

tommy: isn't he in mexico??

wilbur: yeah but he's supposed to be my collab artist i think

tommy: o

wilbur: what?

tommy stopped responding for a few seconds again.

tommy: *oh

tommy: sorry i had to tell my college friend i was texting my 26 year old friend

wilbur began to respond, but he was suddenly stopped by a soft hand on his shoulder, and an uncomfortably close alex.

"willllll!" he said, in that mock-flirty tone of his. "watcha doing?"

"ah- oh, just... texting tommy."

alex smiled at him before seating himself and sliding a frothy drink over to him. "cool! setting up our new server, huh?"

wilbur nodded slightly, gazing down at his texts before responding to alex. "yeah, i guess."

wilbur: hey tommy wanna set up a private mc server with the old smp guys

wilbur: also what do you do if you're madly in love with someone and want to hide it

wilbur: okay bye

he sighed, stuffing the phone quickly into his pocket as he grasped the glass--the coffee chain was getting fancy now, huh...? the teacher has become the student now, it seems, he thought to himself as he remembered the second-to-last text he'd sent the college student.

as alex began to talk to him in an upbeat, excitable tone, switching from one topic to another quickly, wilbur smiled, taking a sip of his drink.

as alex's words continued to fluster him every so often, he gazed into his fellow musician's eyes.

for now, he felt... content.

a/n: art by @dreamsspouse! back again with the amazing talent!!! i care them and you should read their quackibur oneshots book and their schlattbur fic!!!!!!!!!!!!!