The Big Day

There was a ray of sun light that fell across Voya's pillow. She saw it as she woke up to being shook lightly. She turned to see her Momma's smiling face, clearly very excited about her big day.

"It's time to get up sweetie," Sukara smiled as Voya turned over and streched, "I know you had a late night but you should be alright once you get going."

Voya just lifted her arms, reaching up to be carried as she had no intention of walking anywhere. With a small chuckle, Sukara obliged to her request and lifted her out of the bed and into her arms. She carried the little girl downstairs where Asami was making breakfast while Korra and Kuvira sat at the table.

"What are you doing?" Korra exclaimed, launching herself from her chair and almost running towards her.

"What?"

"You can't see Kuvira until later," she said, going to take a still sleepy Voya from her Momma's arms but she wasn't happy to be awake so she just clung on tighter, "alright, come on."

"What are you doing?" Sukara asked as she was all but pushed through to the living room while Kuvira tried not to laugh from the table.

"It's tradition," Korra told her as she pushed them out of sight.

"If I'm older than the tradition it doesn't apply to me," Sukara stated simply as she sat on the sofa letting Voya settle in her lap.

"Well, Kuvira's not," Korra sighed, sitting down on the arm of the sofa next to Sukara, "and it's bad luck."

"Don't be so superstitious," Sukara laughed, rolling her eyes but as she tried to get Voya to sit back without causing a tantrum but it was proving a tricky task.

"It is!" Korra exclaimed as Sukara turned back to her daughter, no longer talking to her about this.

"Sweetie? Hey, it's the wedding today, remember?" Sukara smiled as Voya tried to hide in her dressing gown.

She only received an angry sort of whine as Voya pushed her away. Sukara took a deep breath and decided to leave her alone as she woke up by herself. She was only tired so it wasn't a big deal.

"How are you feeling?" Korra asked, reaching out and shaking Sukara's shoulders.

"I'm good, really happy," Sukara smiled, rubbing Voya's shoulder as she hugged her to try and calm her down, "I'm really glad everything has gone so well. I've got this little family now and marrying Kuvira just feels like the ribbon to wrap up everything."

There was a soft nock at the door, causing them to turn to see Lin peeking round the door. She smiled and pulled the bags she was carrying through behind her.

"Everything okay?" she asked, the dresses in her hand proving to be an obstacle as she made her way into the room.

"Yeah, someone's just a little tired," Sukara said, giving Voya a little squeeze.

"Oh really," Lin smirked, making sure to keep one of the bags hidden as she spoke, "because I've got something for you, but you'll have to come over her."

Voya peered out from behind Sukara's dressing gown, her big blue eyes waiting for Lin to show her what it was. When she didn't, Voya pushed herself off of Sukara's lap slowly and edged her way toward Lin, who pulled out the other bag from behind Sukara's wedding dress revealing the dress they had gotten for Voya.

The little girl started to bounce on the spot, finally waking up and getting excited about the big day.

"Is Su here then?" Sukara asked as Lin handed the wedding dress to Korra.

"Yeah, I was a little surprised when Kuvira asked her to come," Lin said, standing back up properly after leaning down and stretching, "don't they argue all the time?"

"Yeah," Sukara sighed, standing from the sofa, "but Su raised her and took her back in after everything, so they don't hate each other. That's just family I guess."

"Yeah," Lin said taking a step towards her, "you know, I'm really proud of you kid."

"Oh," Sukara said, taken a bit further a back than she expected, she could feel herself welling up a bit but she fought it, "thank you."

Lin didn't want to make it worse so she let Sukara have her moment as she turned and picked up Voya. She took the small child out of the room to get her ready.

"You okay?" Korra chuckled, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Mhm," Sukara nodded, taking a deep breath to steady herself.

Sukara had had a less than ideal relationship with her mother and had spent all of her time trying to be accepted and appreciated by her. So to hear that some that she respected and cared for as much as Lin, say that she was proud of her just knocked her a little.