I Can

Korra was sat meditating, allowing the air current to warm her as she sat in the cold. Tonraq had taken Asami to see his new snow ski and Senna had kidnapped Kuvira to help her with some organising in the house, leaving Sukara to annoy Korra.

"Don't you get bored?" Sukara asked, leaning over Korra as she sat peacefully.

"Do you not meditate?" Korra asked in return, opening one eye to see where she was.

"Only when my mental state is so damaged that I attack my friends," she replied simply, making her way round to sit off to the side of her.

Korra chuckled, accepting that her meditation had been disturbed.

"Can I ask you something?" Korra asked, stretching out her legs as she leaned back. Sukara nodded and waited for the question. "Can you speak to Unalaq? Does he count as a past life for you?"

"I can," Sukara said simply, "I choose not to. There's not much to talk about."

"Can't he give you insight? Into his experience with the spirits?" Korra asked, wanting to know more about how the dark Avatar worked, and if they were the same.

"What's there to give?" Sukara asked in return, leaning back on her hands, "he worked with the spirits for what 15, 20 years. I lived with them for 20,000. He knew what it was like to hold Vaatu before I did, granted but, he lost that too. They merged for all of five minutes before Vaatu took over. Guy didn't know what he was doing. I don't need his guidance."

Korra gave a smile as she realised that they had a similar distain for the former Northern Water Tribe chief.

"It's not like you," Sukara continued, "I don't get hundreds of wise past lives for help, I get one idiot who was lied to for years. I have to be my own Kyoshi."

Korra just looked confused. Did she not remember what had happened. What Unalaq had done to her.

"Tell me you talk to Kyoshi," Sukara said, seemingly oblivious to the true reason of Korra's confusion, "she's great, very serious at the start but she softens. Great trick, if you mention Rangi she turns into the human equivalent of a marshmallow."

"I can't speak to my past lives," Korra frowned, watching Sukara's slightly shocked reaction. She had assumed that she knew about this, after all, she seemed to be aware of Unalaq. "In my fight with Unalaq, he destroyed them. Don't you remember?"

"I wasn't there, Unalaq was still in control at that point," Sukara said, seeming like she was thinking about something else.

The frown on her face deepened a little as she thought about what Korra had just told her. It seemed odd that she hadn't noticed, although she has never made any sort of attempt to connect with Unalaq due to her lack of faith in him. This only seemed to prove her point more.

"Excuse me for a moment," Sukara said quickly, crossing her legs and bringing her fists together as she closed her eyes.

#####

Sukara had quickly hopped into the spirit world. In all honesty, she didn't find it that difficult. Being there at its creation and living in it for so long it felt as though she was always connected to it. This time though, she was in a hurry, she had a bone to pick with the last person Vaatu inhabited and she wasn't going to be patient about it.

She found Unalaq quickly enough, he sat against a tree, huddled on the ground in the dark part of the forest. Without much care for the man, Sukara reached down and lifted him from the floor.

"Where are they?" she demanded, Unalaq just blinked in shock at actually seeing a person for the first time in years, "don't fuck about with me Unalaq, where are the Avatars past lives?"

He looked panicked at being attacked so suddenly but he managed to get some words out, "I don't know what you're talking about. I destroyed them."

"Don't lie to me," she snarled at him, pressing him against the tree, "you can't destroy a spirit, only reduce or relocate them. Where are they?"

"I don't know," he begged, trying to get her to leave him alone.

"Fine," she told him, letting go of the front of his clothes. Smoothing out the wrinkles she had made. "But, just remember, me and you are in this forever. All of eternity. We're connected by Vaatu. When I die, we get to hang out here, for all of time."

Unalaq looked concerned as he listened to her. He didn't particularly wish to spend the rest of his existence with this strange and angry woman.

"So, do you wanna tell me where they are and we can get along?" she asked giving him an ultimatum, "or do you wanna keep lying to me and it'll continue to be like this?"

"I'll show you," he sighed, giving in. If there really was no way he could get away from her anyway, he may as well keep her as happy as he could.