Chapter 4

The next couple of days blurred out in unintelligent slurs of colors, words, and memory's. They were not as "exiting" as when I woke up today  with a head screeched with pain, and the same with stomach. The pain could be a sign of the upcoming pairing.  But I ignored the pain as I saw my father sitting at the end of my bed with his hands behind his back.

I smiled as he brought out a present wrapped in a beautiful hide from an elk we caught last week. As I carefully unwrapped it, I held my breath tears rimmed my eyes. A gorgeous red dress with a leather apron lay in front of me. As I shooed my father out, I dressed in my new downing's and I was about to pull my hair up into a leather strap when my mother brushed my hands away. 

She sat me down and snipped at my long hair until it was shoulder length, Amazed I twirled around admiring my looks in the mirror. Reiner even complemented me. Then I remembered the occasion. Today I was 18 and I was to receive a bestowed companion. But I didn't know when. The old legend was while you least expect it. BAM! there they are. In your life sharing your secrets and traits.

But I just wanted to ease my nerves today and sit at the pier. Walking alone I swung my legs dangerously close to the edge and stared out at the ocean. I breathed in the scent of Sea mist and soil, I was told I smelled like that too. My mind flushed every uneasy thought out to sea as I watched the waves mesmerized by the repeating movements. Then, I heard a rustle. The nerves came back and I stood there waiting for something to come out. But someone come out instead: Baro.