Chapter 2

Everybody in the village was to gather in the hall for my brother's ceremony. He was turning 25 and being selected in the ranks of the top warriors, he was to receive a tattoo. A sign of loyalty ,courage, and a stronger pact with his bestowed companion.

These animals were given to those whose bloodlines ran deep with our ancestors at the age of 18 from Odin. I can remember my brother's excitement when he was first found his companion. Although she was just a cub, the way she looked at Reiner left no doubt of her intelligence.

The ceremony had all of the elders praying around Reiner for Odin to bless him on turning 25 years old. I loved the ceremonies. Especially the ceremony of 25.  The intricate patterns never ceased to astound me like the sea's waves. The elders never touched the person of honor, nobody did. The gods did. Slowly, the elders backed from Reiner, as black curves and sharp trails traced along Reiner's chin.

The symbols were different every time, depending on the person's potential. His had meant that honor has been recognized. His entire being became fuller and now he was assigned a job, not permanent but important to the village. His job was a Ranger, he was to guard our village from any threat and I knew Reiner would do greatly in this field.

His bestowed companion animal: Sare, bore the same markings as the tattoo on Reiner's chin in her Lynx coat. She was very sassy, but a beautiful handful of teeth and claws. As Reiner left the hall,  he and Sare walked with pride and an assurance of success, Trading thoughts between each other telepathically. A trait the few chosen and companion shared. Rarely, a companion could sense danger, but not normally.

 Unlike Reiner, I was very nervous of my upcoming ceremony of 18. What animal would Odin pair me with? What would it's name be? Would we be compatible, or would I not even receive a Bestowed Companion? These questions ran through my head faster than any falcon could fly. But, I could not avoid the upcoming ceremony that took place a week from today. I constantly ran my hand threw my hair and avoided thinking deeply about my future which I tried to ignore frequently. (because it scared me) I decide to pay my  best friend Levie a visit.