Chapter 4

Transfiguration passed slowly.

Tom had little interest in anything these days- even visualising stabbing McGonagall with an especially large porcupine quill did nothing to still his racing mind.

His leg bounced beneath the desk. He usually praised his own composure, his restraint, but today he could only think of leaving the classroom behind him.

Stretching his hand out, he admired the angry purple marks where Hannah's teeth had caught him.

He decided he liked those.

Riddle barely registered the tolling of the bell, slipping from the room on autopilot as he made his way to the Potions floor.

Not here.

He wasn't sure how he knew it, but watching the flow of students from the class, he didn't wait to see if Grey emerged. She wasn't there- whether she'd been or not, that part didn't matter.

The corridor steadily emptied, and Tom rested himself against the wall, considering his next move. If she'd run for the forest again, he was certain he'd catch up to her- but something told him she wasn't one to reuse her cards.

"You're late."

Her voice came from the end of the hall, past one of the great stone gryphons adorning the walkway. She was carrying a stack of books, and had somehow changed into robes, the hint of a silver and green tie glimmering at her throat.

How he longed to replace it with his hands, to choke the life from her- who was she to evade him?

"I'm precisely on time," he said brusquely, watching as she approached. "You're just in the wrong place."

"I left early to gather some textbooks. Figured an insufferable know-it-all like you would've found that out somewhere."

She looked different. She'd lost that trapped expression he'd enjoyed so much.

He could fix that.

Tom adjusted his collar, regarding her with the most withering look he could muster. "You aggravate me."

The statement was simple, but it almost sounded childish. Petulant.

Hannah smiled, sparking a jolt of annoyance.

"Glad to hear it." She twirled her wand, rolling the dark wood between her fingers. "I've decided to stay here. The Ministry is right, I should at least try for some qualifications."

I don't believe you.

An uncomfortable silence settled between them. The weight of her decision frustrated him- he should be the one holding her here, dragging her back each time she sank her teeth into any element of freedom.

Or he could drive her away.

Just as fun.

"So are you going to show me around?"

"No."

Hannah laughed. Another flash of anger writhed in his stomach.

"Well, luckily for you, I don't really need you to." She tapped her temple with her wand. "I've been blessed with a fairly strong compass."

"How pleasant for you. It's a shame your cross-country travels have ended."

She ignored him, dumping the books in his arms. So surprised by her sudden boldness, Riddle took them.

"These are heavy, though. Can you carry them to our dorm?"

Tom wasn't sure why, but he did. He just needed to bide his time- get Hannah out of the Ministry's interest, get her alone, truly alone.