"Not a Given Right"

Approximately 3000 BCE

"Knife?" I slide the short weapon into the sheathe on my back, "Check."

"Armor?" I knock my fist against my chest, the near indestructible celestial bronze/silver/ gold alloy ringing, "Check."

"Sword?" I take my sword off of its stand on my dresser, "Check."

I sit back and stare around at my room. It always was a bare place. I never had anything to keep in here. MY armor and weapons, a free changes of clothes. That was it. I'm not really leaving any memories here either. I never spent much time here. Today is the day I'll be leaving this place, and officially starting my career as a Guardian. I stretch up with my arms and punch the air.                                                    

"Let's do this." I say to no one.

"Talking to yourself again?" A voice sounds out from behind me.

I turn, "Xander! How have you been doing?"

The son of Zeus lowers his hood, "It has it's ups and downs."

I smirk, "I hear from some of the minors that you got assigned to Aphrodite."

He winced, "Yeah... She doesn't go anywhere, or do much of anything, so I'm stuck here."

"It's been weird." I say absentmindedly, "You're around, but I don't see you anymore, and Alex got assigned to that new Olympian, Appolonis or something."

"Apollo." Xander corrects.

"Yeah, him. So he's traveling all over the place, and dragging Alex along with him."

Xander scowls slightly, "And I heard that he's apparently a womanizer as well."

I laugh slightly, "Do you think he could even begin to think about that? You know what Alex is like."

He laughs as well, "Yeah. She's a lot more conservative than Aphrodite."

"So, aside from Aphrodite being...well, Aphrodite, how's the job?"

"Aw come on, you know how the gig works." He says, "You stick to the Olympian like glue, and pick up a few tricks. It's pretty good."

"Nice." I reply.

"You know," He says suddenly, "I expected you to ask me about your assignment."

"What's there to ask?" I ask, "I find out who I'm protecting, and I protect him or her."

"Well, you do like to preach the need for all the information."

I just look at him.

"Oh, hey Xavier." A voice call out from down the hall, "Did Perce finally wrangle information out of you?"

"For the last time Sheena, it's Xander, and no. He doesn't want the information."

"You do know that she just does that to annoy you." I point out.

Both of them ignore me.

"But you do have the information?" The daughter of Ares phrases it like a question.

Xander nods.

"Well, spill." She demands.

The son of Zeus sighs, "My source is a drunken Aphrodite, so just keep that in mind." He says, "The name is Artemis. She's the daughter of Leto and Zeus, and the older twin sister to Apollo."

"Apollo?"

"God of archery, truth, and prophesy." Xander explains, "He's the new guy Alex was assigned to."