chapter 10

POV: 3rd person
"Get them! And inform the Commander!"

Shadow and Sonic had stayed in one place for too long. The people who had come up to check what was going on had spotted them. They had their guns ready to sedate them.

In a panic, Shadow took Sonic in his arms and ran off. He knew that Sonic wouldn't be able to keep up, not without his shoes.

"They are getting away!"

Blinding red light and alarms were going off. Shadow had no idea where to go. He made random turns but it felt as if he wasn't going anywhere. He turned around a corner, only to come face to face with a line of guards. They fired at the two hedgehogs. Shadow managed to dodge most of them before taking off in another direction. One of the darts had gotten stuck in his arm. It didn't matter since one dart wouldn't be able to get him down.

It felt like an eternity of running before they reached what looked like the entrance. Shadow charged a chaos spear and threw it at the heavily armored door. It did some damage but one wasn't enough to break through. He was about to change another chaos spear when an electrical shock went through his body. He collapsed to the ground, protecting the one he held in his arms from the impact. Two guards had sneaked up on them and had aimed their teaser gun at the ebony hedgehog.

Sonic nudged his mate who gave no other reaction but a groan. His body was twitching from the aftershock. The blue hedgehog narrowed his eyes at the guards as he growled furiously at them. He stood in front of his mate, staying low to the ground to attack them when they set another step closer.

"Look at that. He thinks he can stand up against us." One of the guards grinned to his partner while he chuckled. "And what are you going to do?" He leaned down to the blue hedgehog. He knew Sonic was an uke and they were known not to be much of a threat.

Sonic jumped on his attacker, sinking his teeth in his neck and digging his nails into his skin. The guard screamed for the other to take the hedgehog off him. When he tried, he got kicked back so instead he shot the blue hedgehog with a tranquilizer gun.

Sonic winced from the needle of the dart that had pierced through his skin. He got knocked to the ground but got up, fighting against the sedative. He got shot again when he bit in one of the guards' ankle. Wincing, he towered over his mate. He was going to protect him no matter what.

Shadow pushed himself up on his elbows. He was quickly recovering from the shock. He didn't know how to feel about Sonic protecting him. He should be the one protecting him, not the other way around.

"Too bad your plan didn't work." Shadow looked up to see the commander. He looked at him with pure hatred. Sonic growled at the commander as he got too close to them. "That's enough from you." The man pointed a tranquilizer gun at the blue hedgehog. This one was different from the other. Since Shadow needed a bigger dossier of seductive, darts with a higher concentration had been created to use against him.

Sonic didn't back down and yelped when the dart pierced through his skin. He was knocked out within a matter of seconds. Instinctively, Shadow towered over his unconscious mate. He curled his body around Sonic's to protect him. He snarled at everyone who was nearby.

Towers grinned at seeing the lifeform's reaction. The ebony hedgehog had bonded with the blue one and was following his instincts whenever it came to his mate. This was the result he wanted from having them mate, that and their young.

"Well, well, well, did you really think you could get out of here? You, the Ultimate Lifeform, together with my most precious uke. I don't think so. I'm not done with you yet." The commander had a wicked smile on his face. Shadow growled at him, baring his fangs.

"This is farewell, for now."

Shadow hissed when he got shot with the tranquilizer gun. There wasn't anything he could do against the sedative. He secured Sonic was safe in his arms before he lost consciousness.

"Get them back to their habitat, and make sure to put a lock on the hatch. I want them locked in there."