5. Unexpected

"You're fired." Dalai growled viciously through her sharp teeth, making the hairs on my neck stand. The anger in her piercing eyes illuminated through her soul, making me feel like I was burning in the low pits of hell.

I'm what?

"I'm sorry, but what? I.. I don't understand." I stuttered. A thousand different things began to sporadically flood my busy brain, making my train of thought tumble down. I could feel the palms of my hands getting sweaty and the beat of my heart rapidly rising.

How could she fire me?

"I thought you could handle the task, but you obviously don't have what it takes. Mr. Gilinsky insisted you'd be fired. He said you were unprofessional and unladylike. Pack your belongings and get out of here." She hissed, her snake like body slithered away, leaving me alone at my desk in complete revelation.

Did that seriously just happen?

I slowly stood up from my chair in disbelief and began to steadily put my few belongings into my bag. She didn't even have one good reason to fire me because everything went absolutely fine last night, besides me turning him down for a dinner date. But, I don't see why he would complain to Dalai to intentionally get me fired. He wouldn't do that just because I didn't go on a date with him, right? Just when I thought my life was turning around, it all came crashing down at once, making me feel like I was nothing but a single speck of dust. I solemnly threw my bag over my shoulder and exited the office, obliging her demand for me to leave.

This was his fault.

I stuck out my hand into the street, signaling for a taxi to come pick me up. I was going to go over to Jack's and give him a piece of my mind. How dare he lie to my boss and purposely get me fired. Why in the world would he do something that cruel just because I turned him down? Just thinking about him made steam escape from my ears. I had a hard time concentrating on anything else except for the amount of anger I had building up inside of me. I was a ticking time bomb that was just waiting explode.

"969 G. Avenue." I yelled as I climbed into the back seat of the yellow taxi. "Hurry! Go! Go! Go!" I screamed impatiently, hitting the back to his seat with my hands. I needed to get to Jack's house immediately. The amount of adrenaline I had inside of me from my growing anguish was deadly.

His puzzled eyes glared at me through his rear view mirror. "Sure thing, sweetheart." His raspy voice muttered. I watched as he lit a cigarette and pressed it up to his lips, inhaling the repulsive smoke. Just the smell of it made me want to roll down the window to the cab and vomit into the street.

Why is New York City filled with such foul human beings?

The taxi pulled up to Jack's house and I promptly jumped out, throwing the driver the money I owed him. "Stay right here. I'll be right out."

I ran up to the call box and pressed it an obnoxious amount of times until somebody answered.

"Hello? Who is it?" Florence's familiar voice asked through the speaker.

"It's Olivia. Open up. I need to speak to Jack." I demanded. My frantic voice probably suggested that it was a rather serious matter.

I ran through the opening metal gate and up to the front door of his house. I pounded on the door until Florence opened it with a look of worry across her face. "What is it darling? Is everything OK?"

"Where's Jack?" I asked, out of breath. My heavy breaths were beginning to become too much for me to handle, so I took a seat on the comfy couch to calm down. Florence handed me a glass of water. I grabbed it from her hands and chugged it down in one gulp.

"Oh, how perfect. You're right on time. I was beginning to get the feeling that you would bail on me or something." Jack laughed as he ran down the stairs in the newly tailored suit I brought him the previous day. I stood up from the couch and walked directly over to him, trying my hardest to act tough. I couldn't let him intimidate me as he always did, I needed to stick up for myself.

"Fuck you! Why the fuck would you tell my boss that I was 'unproffesional' and 'unladylike?' Because of you, I'm fired, so fuck you!" I screamed in a shaky voice. In all eighteen years that I've lived on this planet, I don't think I had ever been so enraged. I just wanted to clench my fist and sock him right in the face. Jack calmly took a sip of his drink, smiled, and then nodded his head. "Why the fuck are you smiling? Do you think this is funny? You are by far the biggest douche I have ever met in my entire life. Why do you get pleasure out of other people's misery? What is wrong with you?!" I roared ferociously. I looked up at Jack who towered over me in height and shook my head in absolute disgust.

"Are you finished yet?" He smirked. His arrogant and overly confident attitude could be looked at as attractive in some people's eyes, but to me, it made me loathe him even more than I already did. His posture and body language gave off the impression that he thought he was better than everyone else.

I hate people like that. I hate him.

I shook my head in disbelief. "I can't believe you would do something like this."

"Listen, miss. I have a deal for you." He scoffed. I nodded my head once, indicating him to further explain this 'deal' that he had in mind. "Since you're unemployed now, why don't you come work for me?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. His eyes looked down to the floor, then back up to me.

He leaned in closer to me and whispered, "Come work for me." He paused, then smiled. "I can double your salary." The scent of alcohol from his breath lingered around the opening of my nose. I took a large step back and stared at him with anger boiling deep inside of me.

It all made sense now.

"This was your plan all along, huh?" I asked skeptically, folding my arms across my chest.

Jack chuckled. "I don't know what you're talking about, toots."

"Oh shut up! You know exactly what I'm talking about. You intentionally complained to my boss, knowing she would fire me. You knew I would come back here to yell at you, so you were going to offer me a job. And knowing that I'm vulnerable and unemployed, you knew I would say yes. And by saying yes, I would practically be forced to spend time with you." I shouted in my loudest voice as possible. "Wow." I said,shaking my head. "You had this planned. You set me up."

"So is that a yes?" He said, smirking slightly to himself.

Although I didn't know much about Jack, I knew one thing for certain.

I hated him.

A/N: Oh Jack.... Little does Olivia know what's in store for her in the upcoming chapters! Question: Should I continue this fanfic? I'm just curious whether you guys like it or not. I'm skeptical myself. ANYWAYS, please remember to like, comment, provide feedback, etc. The more feedback I get, the faster I update :) Love you guys!!!!! have a lovely day xoxo - lexie