24. Candor

Day 2 (The Next Morning)

There are three main ingredients when it comes to making a successful relationship. The first is affection. Expressing your love for one another is key to keeping each other happy. Affection is broadly defined, there are so many different ways to show it. For example, kissing them when they least expect it, or randomly surprising them with small gifts when they're feeling down or discouraged. Don't just say that you love them, show them that you love them.

The second ingredient to make a relationship thrive is intimacy. Intimacy is about being emotionally close to your partner, being able to let your guard down, letting him or her know how you really feel. It's important to distinguish the differences between sex and intimacy, as they are not the same thing as everybody assumes. Don't get me wrong, you can have a functional relationship that meets the majority of your needs without sharing intimacy, but there is so much more when there is intimacy.

The third and most important ingredient to a happy and loving relationship?

Trust.

By definition, trust is the "firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something." In simple terms, trust is detrimental to a relationship, it's like the bones underneath the skin. With trust, there is the ability to experience all the relationship has to offer. Without it, there is fear and insecurity, threatening the relationship's potential. Trust is something that is earned. Once you lose it, it's hard to gain it back. What's love without trust?

Did I trust Jack?

I didn't know. I wanted to trust him, I really did. But the fact that he was able to keep such a big secret from me, made me start to second guess him and his intentions.

Maybe he wasn't the guy I thought he was after all.

-

The sun slyly peeked through the bedroom window. I lifted my head from the pillow, my tangly, brown, hair tumbled down my bare back like a waterfall. I opened the window to engulf myself in the cool ocean breeze, the calming sound of the waves brought a peaceful hymn to my ears. I rested my elbow against the pillow as I placed the palm of my hand against the side of my face, staring at Jack. All the muscles in his face and body were totally at peace, relaxed. As upset as I was with him, there was no denying how beautiful he truly was. He didn't have any flaws, and I say that genuinely.

My attention was then reverted to the sound of two light feet marching happily down the stairs. Considering Charlotte was a morning person just like me, and Sammy was downstairs sleeping on the couch, I automatically assumed it was her. Last night, she told me that Sammy had kissed her. She expected me to be shocked and upset, but I wasn't at all. I knew Sammy had some interest in her, he hinted it to me a consecutive number of times.

I decided to get up from the bed to go see what she was up to. I threw an oversized t-shirt and shorts over my naked body and crept down the marble stairs.

To my surprise, I found Sammy sitting down at the wooden kitchen table, shirtless, scrolling through his phone as he munched on a bowl of crisp cereal. "You're up early." He said upon seeing me.

I took a seat across from him, my eye brows raised with suspicion. "I'm always up this early.." I paused. "Were you the one that just ran down the stairs?"

His eyes turned wide and he set his spoon down, clearing his shaky voice, "You heard that?"

I nodded my head softly, "Did you do what I think you did?"