23. Uncovering

I leaned my head against the cold glass window, taking in the fast passing scenery of different types of trees and plants. One major drawback about living in New York City was that there's hardly any nature at all, the only greenery we really have is Central Park. There's just something so refreshing about the sight and scent of fresh pine trees, it makes my body feel energized and alive. I continued to day dream out the window as the music on the radio blasted rather loudly, Jack was bobbing his head up and down to the beat like he always did, while Charlotte and Sammy were engaging in what looked like a very deep, personal, conversation with one another in the backseat.

Jack placed his hand on top of mine, his warm thumb tracing over the shallow creases of my fingers. I reverted my attention to him and he grinned widely, "You make me happy, you know that baby?"

I blushed, biting my tongue to refrain letting out a cheesy, unflattering, smile, but it was truly inevitable. "I'd like to think I do, considering you broke up with your girlfriend just for me." I joked. Immediately, Jack tensed up and placed his hand back onto the wheel, leaving me confused and a bit suspicious, "Did I say something wrong?"

Jack kept his eyes focused on the narrow road as he shook his head softly back and forth, "No babe. Nothing at all."

Feeling the tension, I swiftly turned my head back to the other direction, practically snapping my neck while doing so.

What the fuck was that supposed to mean?

No babe?

The rest of the car ride was fairly silent. Of course there was some small talk here and there, but I think we were all just anxious to get to the beach. Even though I was unsure of the idea of going on this spontaneous trip at first, I'm glad I ended up deciding to tag a long. A getaway from reality is just what I needed right about now, I would finally be able to get my mind off of things.

At least that's what I thought.

Hours dragged by, and Jack finally pulled up the beach house. I squirmed in my seat, eager to get out and stretch my sore, numb, limbs. Not one thing had changed about the beach house, it looked the exact same as I last remembered. We all hopped out of the jeep simultaneously. I watched as Sammy and Charlotte's observe the house in complete awe, both their jaws hung low to the floor. I giggled lightly and started to go towards the trunk to collect my bag. As I reached for it, Jack intercepted and grabbed it for me. "I got it." He smirked with utter confidence.

I blushed and batted my eyelashes as he licked his lips with seduction, his eyes scanning over my tight, toned, body. I bite my lower lip and transition my eyes down to the sand. I started to walk towards the front of the house. As I'm doing so, I just so happen to have glanced to the right, where I found Skate sitting on his porch a few yards away, smoking a fat blunt. At least I think it was a blunt, I don't know much about drugs. They're all the same to me.

I raised my arm into the air and waved with eager, "Hi Skate!"

"Sup lil mama?" He shouted back, he sounded excited and relieved to see me.

Jack immediately placed both of his hands forcefully onto my waist and impulsively shoved me inside the house. "I thought I told you before. Don't look at him, don't talk to him, don't even think about him. Do you hear me?" He threatened, his voice dark and scary. I still didn't know what had happened between the two of them, but one thing was for sure, they definitely had some bad blood. Before I even had the chance to reply to his haunting threat, he continued, "I said, do you hear me?"

"Yes! I heard you Jack." I murmured, staring at him with apprehension, he looked petrifying.

Something was off about him, and I was determined to get to the bottom of it.