Chapter Three- Quest

Jane's POV

There was sun in my eyes and on my skin, the heat was slowly pushing me to wake up. I was tangled in sheets, my hips hugged by fabric as my hair was pointing in all directions. I felt as if I was pelted with boulders.

I yawned but I did not move. I must have passed out due to excess drinking but I did not have to worry because Jesture would never allow me to stay long enough to embarrass myself.

I smiled, I had beautiful people around me.

"Get up short life" dragon called and I curled into bed.

"Go away" I begged and I could hear his claws tapping. It was loud enough to irritate me but not strong enough to get to me to move. I must have slept really late for green lips to asign himself the duty of driving me awake.

"The king wishes to see you Jane" I was up in an instant, my sword placed to to it's aimed position on my back. This sounded rather serious, was there an approaching attack? When dagon chuckled I paused in my movements, my fists resting on my hips as I stared at my green friend who found this mighty delightful.

I hopped through the window and when dragon saw the threat in my eyes he took flight, my sword being waved in the air. I knew he would feel nothing but a pinch because this swords was no threat to dragon.

"Get back here this instant green lips!" I yelled and he tapped his chin.

"I don't know short life, that tone of voice is a bit worrying" he told me politely and I shook my head, my hair bouncing on my back and shoulders.

"Dragon!" I yelled and he flipped in mid air, his chuckle lighting up the castle. Well, he would be waking the entire castle actually.

I laughed, my hand on my stomach as dragon continued to amuse.

"Jane" My gaze moved to Jester, his face a bit too serious for my liking.

"The King wishes to see you in the throne room" I gave a firm nod before making my way down the stairs.

******

Gunther turned to look at me the moment I entered the room. I bowed in greeting, my hand caressing my stomach.

"Your majesty, your highness" his wife gave a gentle nod. The two got married just months before his crowning but their date history went back as far as four years.

The prince chose to marry a commoner and it was beautiful.

"Hello Jane" she replied softly. I straightened, my eyes on the throne on which the king sat.

"Sir Breech" I greeted and I did not have to look at him to realize that he had not looked at me.

"Lady Turnkey" he greeted and the King looked between both of us.

"Kippernia has obtained a new alliance humble knights" he informed us and my eyes brightened.

"That is lovely your majesty" I confessed and he raised a finger at me.

"Not so fast, my father is a bit concerned Jane. We had been enemies for over a hundred years so this new bond is suspicious." the king announced and my eyes widened.

That was a rather unexpected plot twist.

"Are we expecting a war my liege?" Gunther asked and I turned to looked at the side of his face.

"That is the pending question and in previous discussion Gunther you made it clear of your best knight. You were called here to fulfill a request that will take six months to fulfill. You will live among the villagers and report your findings" the king requested.

"As you wish my liege" Gunther stated and when he bowed and left I was still staring into the eyes of the king. I had never been outside of the kingdom and just to be more specific I had never been in another kingdom before.

I was free from my thoughts when Gunther's voice filled the room.

"Jane, a word please" he lead me outdoors, his eyes scanning for passersby. There were none, my green eyes moving to the man before me.

"He wants us to play the role of a couple" I breathed and he took his hands from my body.

"The only reason I am being sent is because I am a woman. It is the perfect disguise isn't it Gunther?" I asked and he gave that look of guilt he was known for giving when we were kids. He would look away from me with but this time with his hair hanging in his eyes.

"Jane I chose you, please refrain from blaming our king" he told me and he said that as if I should somehow feel better about myself.

"It is quite clear as to why I was chosen" I crossed my arms. Who knew Gunther could get this low?

"Is it required that I wear a dress and allow you to do things I am very much capable of doing?" I asked and Gunther despised this conversation. I could see it in his eyes.

"Jane I-" if he wished to justify his decision it was quite irrelevant.

"Take another woman" I felt bitter saying it but my pride had been trampled. Gunther raised a brow at me.

I walked away, my arms behind me.

"Innocents will be in danger!" He yelled and I walked even faster.

*****

"Dragon has been poisoned" when those words left his lips I pulled my hand away roughly. Did I really hear the words that rolled off that tongue of his?

"What?" I failed to believe the words because I don't understand who who would be that cruel to dragon. My eyes narrowed at Gunther but before I could speak he spoke.

"I saw my father coming from the kitchen with a bottle in hand. It was seconds before Pepper served dragon his meal" he handed me a stainless steelflask.

I returned the bottle immediately, my eyes burning but I did not allow the tears to fall before Gunther. I pushed by him and when I was a feet away he came after me and gripped my arm.

"Jane-"

"Where is the merchant?!" I yelled and he stood silent. I shrugged free, there was one place that that man loved the most. He was unloading cargo, Gunther yelling for me to yeild.

"You!" I yelled and the man faced me with a cunning smirk. He was aware of what he did.

"Can I help you my dear?" He asked and before I could move forward Gunther held onto me.

"Have you expressed how you feel to the king short life?" Dragon asked and I turned to look at him.

"I wish not to" I confessed.

"Then I believe the best thing to do is go Jane. Serve your king because nothing hurts more than regret" he told me and I fiddled with my thumb.

"Well my thank you green lips. Free advice" I teased and he used his claw to stroke his cheek.

Vote and comment please :)