faceless

"shit." you mumble to yourself as you feel around in your bag for your keys. you're running late as it is and you want to make a good first face-to-face impression.

you're meeting corpse for the first time in person. he's asked you out on a date and you said yes, excited to get to know him more than just what he lets his fans see through stream. you and him have talked over the phone late at night when neither of you can sleep but you've noticed how much the two of you just enjoy the comfortable silence that often falls over you two.

you and him are both faceless youtubers who met on a phasmophobia stream. you've played among us with him a few times and the two of you are quite the dynamic duo. everyone loves it when you two play games together and you would have to agree with them, your content is so much more fun when corpse is there too.

you and him decided to meet at a coffee shop in town and then go for a walk together. you will admit, you're beyond nervous. the main anxiety going through your head is, will he be wearing a mask too, or will he go without making you look like an idiot.

either way, you put your face mask on, more comfortable with that on in public than without and you run towards the coffee shop you planned to meet at, horrified that you'll be late. as the shop comes into sight you see a guy with a mask on leave the shop with two coffees in his hand.

"corpse!" you yell, running across the road, dodging cars on your way as you make your way up to him.

beneath his face mask, you can see the small smile on his face as it reaches his eyes and you take a moment to catch your breath as he hands you the drink, still clearly smirking at you.

"i'm so sorry i'm late," you start, taking the coffee and pushing a bit of your hair back, "i lost my keys."

"i will say," he says, "it's always nice when a girl comes running to you on a date."

you smile a bit, "again, i'm sorry."

you are so thankful for your face mask because the redness on your cheeks is slowly intensifying and you can only imagine how much of a mess you look behind your face covering.

"no need to apologise," he smiles, ushering you to start walking with him, "i remembered how you said you like your coffee."

"thankyou, by the way," you say, hanging your head down a little with nerves, "i'll pay you back."

"don't worry about it," he says, "my treat."

you simply smile and adjust your face mask a little which catches corpses attention.

"i'm so glad you're wearing your mask too," he says before pausing as a guilt ridden look crosses his eyes, "that came out wrong, i'm sure you're beautiful underneath your mask, i just didn't want to seem a fool showing up in my mask."

you giggle a little at him, "i was the same," you say, before frowning a little, "i wouldn't get your hopes up about what's underneath the mask though."

"i find that hard to believe y/n," corpse says, "your eyes are beautiful. and anyway, i don't care about looks. i didn't even know what colour your eyes were when i asked you on a date."

"i didn't know you had curly hair." you say with a small teasing tone behind your voice. you see corpse's face form another smile behind his mask and smile back, feeling comfort in his company.

the two of you walk for a while, talking and laughing along the way. as you both decide to head home after three hours together (corpse insisting to walk you home), you talk about more personal things.

"why did you choose to be faceless?" corpse asks.

"i've had people use me before," you say, "when i started my channel, i didn't see having a face as a big thing but as i got more popular, more people asked for a face reveal and i was scared of having people know who i was. i don't want to be recognised everywhere i go and i didn't want people to use me for followers and shit like that so i kept my work life and private life separate. plus i was used to hiding in public since i'm so paranoid when it comes to being in public so i just kept hiding i suppose. what about you?"

"i didn't want people from my real life knowing what i did and i didn't want them taking me for granted, like you i guess." he replies.

"no wonder we get along so well," you smile, "both socially awkward, shy and faceless."

"and really good at among us." corpse adds with a laugh.

you laugh back before pointing at your house, "this is my place."

corpse looks almost forlorn to be leaving you so soon. the two of you have loved one anothers company today.

"i had a really good time with you today." corpse says and you can see his smile reaching his eyes again.

"me too." you reply, taking your keys out of your bag.

"i'd kiss you," he admits, "but i don't want to overstep any boundaries."

he's so respectful which makes you smile and, nervously, you unhook your mask from behind your ears, taking it off so corpse can see your face. you see his smile brighten when he sees that you're wearing lipstick even though you had a mask on. he too unhooks his mask and removes it, letting you see his face too and you tried not to show your shock at how cute he is.

before you can admire him too much, his hand cups your chin and he delicately leans down and places a small kiss on your lips, sweet and short. when he pulls back, you lean in for a second kiss and gush at the feeling of his lips against yours again. you smile into the kiss and bite the inside of your cheek when you pull back, blushing profusely.

corpse says nothing, removing his hand from your face as he sheepishly smiles to himself, he too is blushing. he puts his mask back on, hiding his emotions but you can see the joy in his eyes as you smile.

"i'll call you later?" he poses as more of a question than a statement.

you nod, "you could always facetime me now."

corpse smiles once more before the two of you part ways, for now.

~abbie

1102 words