old friends

"fine, do whatever. i don't care anymore y/n i- i just can't care anymore."

"i'm sorry corpse."

"no you're not."

~

"hey, i think corpse says he's gonna join the stream later with us, you two haven't played together yet." sean says and your ears prick up. you bite your cheek and let out a deep sigh. you've not played with corpse yet because you've been going out of your way to avoid every stream he's involved in. 

"yeah, i know." you say, picking at your nail as sean raises an eyebrow at you.

sean is your best friend. you and him met at a convention four years ago, a year after you moved to england, and you've been close ever since. you're round at his until the stream later when you'll go back to your own place to join in however you're now seriously considering just not going home. you don't wanna let sean down but going to a pub and drinking till morning sounds preferable to speaking to corpse right now.

"you know i can see right through you," sean comments, "what's up?"

"nothing," you shrug, a sulking tone behind your voice as you sigh, "it's just... i can't stream with corpse."

"what? why? you've never met the guy." sean says.

"actually, him and i have a past. i'd rather not speak to him." you say quietly.

"wait what? why didn't you tell me?" sean asks.

"it never came up! i just made excuses for all the streams you invited me to with him in." you say.

he shakes his head, "so what happened? how do you know him?"

"we went to school together. we met when we were eleven and we were best friends till we left school at eighteen." you say.

"so why don't you wanna speak to him then?" sean asks, knowing there's more to the story and you're just refraining from telling him.

you sigh and look away from sean, remembering the fed up look on corpse's face after the argument. you remember every inch of his being radiating anger, everything except his eyes. his eyes told a different story. he was hurt and disappointed and sad but he could only show that to you through anger.

"because we fought." you say.

sean furrows his brows, "you fought? i can't see corpse doing anything so horrific that you wouldn't want to speak to him," his face softens slightly, "what did he do?"

you shake your head, "i've phrased this wrong. sean its me that he won't want to speak to. it's my fault we argued and fell out and it was me that upset him, not the other way around." 

sean knows you well and he knows that if you've done something wrong you don't want him to sympathise with you or sugarcoat what you've done, you want him to be honest with you so his face hardens slightly and he sighs, "so what did you do?"

"i moved here. you know why i moved, my dad was sick and i needed to care for him because no one else could but me and corpse had plans. we were going to college together and we were taking the same courses. we had it all planned out and i just up and left." you say.