Chapter 34

Lydia

                   The first thing I was aware of as I woke up was that I had a splitting headache. The second was that I was laying on a bed, my head on a pillow.  I assumed for a moment that I was in Maven's bed and was about to roll onto my side and go back to sleep, when I recognized the difference. Maven's bed was comfier than this, and I lay on top of the blankets, not under them.
                   I forced my eyes open with a searing pain going through my skull, and looked to my right and left. I was in a bedroom, but whose and where I had no idea. I tried to get up, but my muscles ached and my head protested.
                  That's when it all came flooding back. I led Elara into a trap and Maven killed her. We tried to frame the Scarlet Guard, but a fight broke out and Mare...
                   I was suddenly aware of the presence at the end of the bed, eyes watching me. My head snapped up. "Calm down," Mare said, firmly, "You're okay."
                   "Oh, am I?" I said sarcastically. I nodded to the stone cuff around my right ankle, "Nice accessory. Where am I?"
                    "Back at base. And be thankful for the accessory. It blocks your ability and tracks your movement, but you're free to move around the base. His highness isn't so lucky,"
                     "Maven?! Where is he?! Is he okay?!"
                     Mare nodded at the wall behind me, "He's next door in a cell. And he's a little worse for wear and still unconscious, but he's okay."
                     "What are you going to do with us?" I sneered.
                     "You, we'll eventually release—if you behave. Maven, we're not sure yet, but it won't be good." With that, Mare stood and left the room without another word.
                     Left alone, I inched to the edge of the bed and sat up, hanging my legs over the side. My room was furnished quite well for a political prisoner. Along with the bed there was a bedside table and lamp, a table with a few chairs filling the rest of the room, and a dresser and full length mirror in the far corner. There was even two small rectangular windows near the ceiling. The only luxury I wasn't allowed appeared to be a door lock.
                      I was crossing the room to see what was in the dresser, when someone cried out in the room next door. As I raced to the wall, I could hear Maven's panicked voice, "Lydia?! Lydia?!"
                       I pounded on the wall, bringing my mouth up to it, "Maven? I'm over here."
                       "Lydia?" it sounded as if he fell off his bed and then his voice grew louder as he crawled towards the sound of mine, "Where are we? What happened?"
                       "We're at the base of the Scarlet Guard," I sank to my knees, "I'm so sorry, Maven. I think we lost."
                        He didn't answer right away. Instead the sound of his breathing grew louder and louder, rapid, raspy, and panicked. Then, the breaths were interrupted with racking sobs, "Lydia, what have I done!?"
                        "Maven, it's—"
                        "I killed her. I killed my mother!"