Chapter 37

Maven
*Warning: Depressed Maven*

              "It was incredible. I knew there were more like me, but I never imagined there'd be so many. And all with different gifts—amazing abilities, Maven," Lydia was saying. By the way her voice was fading in and out I could tell she was pacing excitedly.
              "That's great," I said, but my voice faltered. Something heavy sat stubbornly in the pit of my stomach.
               "And they were all so interested in my ability,"
               The Silvers were interested in your ability, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying it out loud.
                Maybe it was my new sense of empathy or my heightened senses from sitting in this empty room that made Lydia sound so exuberant. Or maybe she really was happier than I'd ever seen her.
                I hoped it was one of the former.
                "Maven?" Lydia asked, when I was quiet for a long moment.
                "That's great," I croaked out again.
                "Maven, is everything alright?"
                Dammit. "Fine—I'm fine. I'm happy for you, Lydia, just...um...shaken up. I tried to get some sleep and I had a nightmare...when I woke up you weren't there," I couldn't stop the last part from falling out and with a biting tone.
                "Oh, yeah...I stayed behind a bit," I could hear the sudden shame in her voice, "B—But it won't happen again. I just did it to get them off my back so..."
                I felt an odd mixture of satisfaction and regret as she deflated. Mixtures of opposing feelings was something I hadn't explored much yet.
                 "They just want to recruit you," I said, mostly to assuage my guilt.
                 "That's true," she admitted, "Shade wouldn't stop talking about the things a Shifter could do in the field—"
                 "Shifter?"
                 "Heh, yeah, that's the name they gave me!" a glimmer of excitement was back, "Like how Silvers have different names. I'm a Shifter, Shade's a Jumper...um...well, I can't remember the others...it's not important—silly, really..."
                   Usually, Lydia was a fantastic liar, except in this moment. "It's not silly. I'm glad you have a name," I lied back.

                    The next few days, Lydia was trying harder than usual to care for me. Despite the fact that I could see right through it, my mind started to get clearer. I could remember things from my past better than previously, even recent things. On occasion, I even slept for hours on end with no nightmares.
                      And with each passing day I also remembered my plan to free the Reds and the life I had been happily living with Lydia in the palace.
                      Without barely wondering what had happened, I started sitting near the door, listening to the changing of the guards in the hall, the schedule, the conversation they had. They seemed to be the laziest around supper time.
                       That's when I made my move.
                       My supper tray was slid through the slot in the door. I picked at the food, giving a good few minutes before I started.
                       "Help! Please!"
                       Someone banged on the door, "No tricks, Silver!"
                       "No, no! Please! It hurts! Help!" as I shouted I carefully moved the dishes off the tray, hiding everything under my mattress.
                       After a moment, someone called, "Back away from the door!" followed by the jangling of keys.
                      I backed up to the far wall just behind the bed, bending over and clutching at my stomach. The guard rushed in and approached me. "What's going on?" he asked, shortly.
                      I didn't answer, holding my position until he came up right in front of me. In one swift, fluid motion I slid the tray out from under the mattress and struck him across the face. For good measure, while he was dazed, I grabbed him roughly by the shoulder and threw him into the wall, his head striking the silent stone.
                        The guard dropped, unconscious. I leapt over his body and raced out the open door into the hallway.
                         Freedom! Sweet freedom!
                         I threw open to door to the immediate left, "Lydia?!"
                         It was empty...of course, it was supper time, she was in the mess hall. I went out into the hall and starting racing in the other direction. I would have to draw her away somehow. The two of us couldn't take on the entire Scarlet Guard alone.
                         At the end of the hall was a large window looking down into the mess hall on the lower level. I scanned the faces, until my eyes landed on a blessedly familiar one. "There you are!" I said aloud, "Don't worry, Lydia. I'm...coming..." I trailed off.
                        She wasn't alone. Reds were packed shoulder to shoulder at this table, with Lydia among them. I could hear them shouting and laughing from here. Lydia's face was red and she was breathless.
                         She was so happy.
                         I was nothing but a spectator up here, looking down on a scene I wasn't apart of. I may not have even existed to her. Like we were never in each other's lives, like we were never in love. Like I didn't matter to her.
                          I felt all the fight leave me. Where was I going? What was I doing? I didn't know or care. Numbly, I walked back to my cell.

Poor Maven! On a lighter note, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas who celebrates!! ~Liz