Chapter 41

Maven

                 The terrified silence was broken by screaming as my fingers curled around the metal. The remaining members of the Scarlet Guard ran for it. I strapped the fire starter bracelet around my wrist and struggled to a standing position, clicking it. The room filled with a warm orange glow as my hands ignited and flame laced up my arms. The fire lashed out from my body in my rage, lighting up the Reds unfortunate enough to still be too close to me.
                   I was still in pain from the beating, but now I could bear it enough to walk. Walking became running and I grabbed the first man I could and torched him, then the one next to him. One Red had reached the door, but I threw a fireball that struck him, but not before he hit a large switch on the wall. Pulsing red lights filled the room and the screams were drown out by a siren. Soon the entire base would descend on us.
                    I longed to wipe out every one of them for hurting Lydia and I, but I forced the thought from my mind. I had to focus on the priority, "Lydia, come on!"
                    We ran for the door and into the hall and keeping pace on my other side—my brother.
                    "You need to get to the boiler room," Cal said, "Your secret passage is the best bet out of here."
                     As he spoke, he hurled a few fireballs down the hallway, striking the Reds in our path, while I fired a few behind us at the ones in pursuit. As I turned back, I caught Cals eye. He was grinning from ear to ear and I realized I was too.
                    We reached the boiler room to find a blockade of Scarlet Guard members in front of the doorway, all armed. We screeched to a halt, and I put out an arm to protect Lydia. Before Cal or I could react they raised their guns.
                     Suddenly, the hallway lit up with a fluorescent purple light. We watched the armed men jerk and dance about until one by one they dropped, until we could see Mare standing behind them, the lightening branching out from her fingertips.
                     "Go, go!" she snapped as the lightening diffused from the air and the hallway fell still. Lydia and I started down the staircase to the boiler room.
                   "Hey, Maven," Cal called as we were halfway down. I turned to see him and Mare standing at the top of the stairs side by side, "This is your last chance. Don't waste it...brother."