Chapter 6

*Thank you for reading to everyone who's read this far. Hope you're enjoying the story!*

Maven

                Lydia's words echo in my head the next few days. "I'm fascinated by you, Maven Calore." She had been so close I realized her eyes were more hazel than brown. As usual she could see right through everything, and she wasn't scared, she wasn't put off.
                She was excited.
                I could feel my desire growing. It was destroying my inhibition. Just strong enough that I couldn't stop myself from asking her to dinner again. And yes, this time I made sure to time the finishing of my work with hers and missed dinner with my mother on purpose.
               When I asked of course, she saw right through me and grinned cockily. I hated how she knew she had me by the balls.
               But she accepted and again I found myself forgetting the world around me, my responsibilities. All the voices in my head silenced around her. So I was delighted when I convinced her to sit in the private family sitting room with me to finish our conversation after dinner. Maybe I could have a rare pleasant evening in this room. Evenings here usually consisted of my father fawning over Cal and putting me down and/or my mother entertaining herself with the inside of my head.
              "Did you want a drink?" I asked, removing the crystal stopper from a bottle of alcohol.
               Lydia plunked down on the couch in front of me, "Sure."
               The room was dark except for the crackling fireplace in front of us sending a warm glow and dancing shadows our way. I set the two glasses of amber liquid on the table between the couch and fireplace. We continued our conversation, but then lapsed into silence. "Lydia?" I asked suddenly, "What's your family like?"
               "My family?"
               I nodded, glad that she couldn't see me blush in the darkness. I have never asked her a personal question. We had only talked about books and academics thus far.
               "Well, I'm an only child. I live with my parents and my cousin and her baby,"
               "And they treat you well?"
               "Yes, they treat me alright. I don't always see eye to eye with my father, but I'm close to my mother. Like how you and your mother are close,"
                  I couldn't resist a mirthless laugh.
                  "What is it?"
                  "We're not close. Not how you mean. I'm just another pawn in her game. Always have been,"
                  "I'm sure that's not true..."
                  "It is. I know it. But she's a pawn in my game too," I grinned, "I've learned to block her out, so she can't know my plans."
                  Lydia's eyes widened, "What plans?"
                   I bit my lower lip. I couldn't help but imagine her excitement if I told her. Not to mention that shapeshifting power...
                   "I'll tell you, but if you tell anyone, you're dead, understand?"
                   Absolutely not intimidated as usual, Lydia nodded emphatically.
                   I took a deep breath, "I'm going to give freedom to Reds."
                   Her eyes lit up like I hoped they would and I had to force back the fluttering in my chest to continue. "There are some Silvers who are sympathetic to the cause...or whom I swayed to our cause," I smiled to myself, "I've been helping them climb the ranks with my influence. My mother is the only one who's going to be in my way if she finds out."
                    Lydia furrowed her brows at me, "But you're her son. Surely she wouldn't..." my stomach turned when she trailed off, confusion turning to concern, "Maven?"
                    I looked away. I tried to take a casual tone, but my voice still cracked, "Oh, she's fucked with my mind my whole life."
                    I could feel her gaze boring into me. I should have stopped, but I kept going, pouring it all out, "She messed with my memories, planted what she wanted in my head. I'm just starting to gain back some semblance of sanity, of autonomy. I still don't know what thoughts are mine and what was planted there. I hear voices half the time. I don't even know who I am, Lydia."
                    I turned back to her, horrified to find tears distorting my vision. Damn it, Maven. You had to go and make a fool of yourself.
                    But Lydia didn't look put off or horrified. In fact when our eyes met again, she brought a hand up to my face. Her skin was so soft, her touch gentle as her fingertips stroked my temple and her thumb brushed away a tear that escaped one eye. I covered her hand with mine, holding it there.
                     "I'm so sorry," she whispered.
                     "I don't want your pity," I said, trying to grasp at any semblance of dignity left.
                     Lydia shook her head, "It's not pity. I just...I care about you and..."
                     She trailed off. Her thumb moved down to my mouth, brushing over my lips. "Lydia," I said under her thumb. I brushed her chestnut hair behind one ear, but my hand refused to leave her face. Instead the back of my fingers traced over her temple, to her cheekbone, and along her jaw. She shuddered at the warmth that I channeled into my hand.
                     I was suddenly aware of how close we were. I could feel her breath on my face. Our noses were almost touching.
                     No, no, wait. Abort!
                     "Lydia..." I sighed again, but it was too late.
                     Our lips touched and my eyes instinctually closed. I felt Lydia's hands go up into my hair and seize whole clumps in her fists to hold me there. My hands stayed at her jaw, cupping the back of her head. I was surprised to find her trembling like I was, in fear or desire I wasn't sure, but I was done fighting this. My mind grew quiet when I was around her and I thought kissing her would be like that, but it wasn't. It was an explosion in my head, like fireworks.
                   And I never wanted it to end.