Chapter 40

Lydia

Where they were taking us, I didn't know. I couldn't see between the mass of people. The Reds holding me wouldn't stop or slow to let me get my footing so I was dragged along the ground, disoriented and terrified. I knew Maven was somewhere ahead of me. Unfortunately, I knew because we kept passing drops and streaks of silver blood. I was in no position to fight, so I swallowed my dignity and screamed like mad. Screamed for Maven, screamed for Cal, but he had been swallowed up in the faces.
Finally, we reached a room, where I was released, landing on my stomach. The train of Scarlet Guard members clustered together. I wasn't sure why, until I heard the man from earlier shout, "Here you go, Your Majesty!" followed by a splash.
I took advantage of the distraction and scrambled to my feet. We were in the fitness center, the only light source was the turquoise tinted lights in the pool, silhouetting the figure splashing inside.
I surged forward, two Reds, catching me and holding me back, "Stop it! He can't swim! Please!"
"Shut up, blood traitor! You're gonna watch your boyfriend die and then it'll be your turn!"
"No!"
"Restrain her!"
I was forced onto my knees. I finally spotted Cal in the crowd. "Cal! You have to stop them!"
He ignored me. They were dragging Maven out of the pool now. He was thrown roughly onto the concrete, coughing and retching, but he wasn't given more than a moments rest. The Reds crowded around him, kicking and punching. They swarmed past each other, taking turns at Mavens face and stomach. My screams were drown out by whooping and cheering. Finally, they decided he'd had enough and hauled him up.
But the worst was next.
The leader of this group held Maven on his knees, pulled his head back by his hair and pulled out a dagger, "Well, Your Majesty, it appears our play time is at an end."
Maven met my eyes. It was the first time I'd seen his face in over a month and it was bloody and bruised, but his blue eyes still shown out. They looked at me only with love. Not taking my eyes off Maven, I implored Cal again, "Cal, you have to do something! Cal, stop this!"
The man holding Maven continued, "Don't worry, the girl will be right behind you..."
"Cal, you can stop all of this! Please!"
"...and we'll take good care of your kingdom."
"Cal, he's your brother! If that ever meant anything to you, you need to stop this!"
"They were both ours the moment you fucked with the Scarlet Guard," the man placed the dagger on Mavens throat, "Make no mistake, Your Majesty, we will rise, Red as the—"
"Stop!" a voice bellowed. It took me a moment to realize that it was Cal. The entire room fell to silence as every Red froze. I began to breathe a sigh of relief, but then Cal continued.
"This monster has taken more from me than any of you. I'm going to be the one to kill him,"
"What?" I breathed as Cal pushed past me on his way to Maven, "No! Cal, no!"
The man reluctantly handed over the dagger and stepped behind Cal as the Silver prince replaced the dagger on his brothers throat. Tears blurred my vision and I hurriedly blinked them away, fearing this was the last time I'd see my fiancé alive. I was through screaming. The crowd was through cheering too it seemed as they watched the scene still silent.
And that's when it happened.
Cal tossed the dagger in the air, catching it and plunging it backwards into the leaders belly. He released Maven with the other hand to punch another Red. The Reds holding me dropped me and ran for the door, but they didn't get far. Cal spun around and threw two fireballs across the room, hitting their marks. I clamored over to Maven, dragging him away from the action.
"It's no use," Maven rasped, "Cal can't fight them all on his own. I'm useless without—"
"Maven! Catch!"
The entire room seemed to hold its breath. All eyes were on the object Cal threw. The light from the pool caught the metal as it arched over our heads and into Mavens hand.
A fire starter bracelet.

Sorry for the long wait. Things have been crazy at work, but I've returned.
          ~Liz