Chapter 6: Bridging

Kylin and I sat atop the crates until the sun had dipped below the horizon, casting pale pink glows across the landing dock.

It made me happy to know that we were okay now. The awkwardness had vanished, and we were once again two souls continuing on an unknown journey.

"Cal, Kylin, Greez made dinner. Come back over here," Cere called, presumably standing next to the Mantis.

She didn't get out a lot.

"What do you think he made this time," Kylin laughed. "Probably some stew or something. Made with Jotaz meat."

Knowing Greez, I wouldn't put it aside him. At least he was an excellent cook, there was always that.

"We should get up and go find out, I'm starving," I whined.

Kylin grinned at me and hopped off the stack of crates, landing with a small oomf as she turned back to look up at me.

"I'm coming, don't worry."

I leapt off myself, landing a bit more gracefully than Kylin had.

"Show off," she muttered, nudging me with her shoulder.

"Jealous much?" I smirked. "Come on, let's eat."

We both walked together up to the Mantis, where the door was wide open to allow a cool breeze to run through the ship.

Greez stood triumphantly over a set table, sprinkling an unknown spice over the plates.

"Whatcha got there, Greez?" Kylin asked, walking over to sit down next to our pilot.

Cere and I followed suite, both of us taking a seat at the table where Greez still stood.

"Food for ya kids, it's a masterpiece!"

The plates in front of us were empty, save for the light coating of spice.

"Spices for dinner, yum," I murmured, studying the little flakes.

Greez narrowed his eyes at me before grabbing something off the stove top.

A large platter now in his four hands, he began to lay what looked like meat and vegetables on each of our plates.

"This looks excellent, Greez, thank you," Cere praised him.

Kylin nudged me slightly. "Told you."

I rolled my eyes and feigned annoyance, but she had been right. The Lateron sure did love working with meat.

Steam and wonderful smells filled the air as everyone began to dig in, a cozy silence falling over everyone at the table.

After a few minutes, Kylin spoke up again. "What are we planning to do next? I mean, we had our rest day, but what else can we do? Back to Kashyyyk? Dathomir?"

I knew she didn't want anything to do with Dathomir anymore, but I could also tell she wanted Cere and Greez to believe she was willing to do anything if it helped.

"We were already on Kashyyyk a few days ago. Dathomir, though. It could be useful to see if the Empire has made any moves there, don't you think?" Cere answered.

Kylin glanced at me, an uneasy look hidden in her gaze.

I cleared my throat and looked up at our leader. "But what if the Empire isn't there? What will be the point of returning?"

"Explore some more," she shrugged. "You've been so busy, I doubt you've had any time to really look around the planet. Maybe bring home some new stuff for Greez."

Nobody said anything after that.

We ate in silence, and it stayed that way.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kylin and I stood in the hot red sun of Dathomir once more.

"I hate this planet. I hate it so, so much," Kylin seethed, wiping her already damp forehead.

"I do too. I'm sorry we have to be back here. But I promise we won't go back to the temple," I said quietly, grabbing her hand.

She gave a small smile, and we started towards the main city area.

Merrin had came back here a few days ago, on her own just to try to stop the Night Brothers from attacking were we to return to the God forsaken planet.

Luckily enough, none of the Dathomirian men stalked the dark corridors or watched on ledges above.

The spiders, however, still remained in their hiding places.

"I hate those things. Hate em," Kylin sighed, shaking her head.

I ignited both ends of my saber and nodded in agreement. "Well, guess we gotta do something about them, right?"

She smiled. "That we do."

In one swift motion, she slung her staff over her back and whipped it into a dark corner, smirking in satisfaction when it hit its target.

"How did you do that?" I asked, summoning her staff back with the Force and handing it to her.

Kylin shrugged. "There was a spider last time. I remembered that, I guess."

"That's pretty cool."

She didn't say anything but nodded gratefully, walking forward towards the temple in the distance.

I reached out and grabbed her hand. "I told you we don't have to go up there, Ky."

"I know, but isn't that a good spot for you to meditate before we continue on? You already dealt with Master Tapal."

Confusion fogged my mind. She was so blatantly against going there, but why would Kylin want to go back now?

"Why do you want to go back?"

She looked up at me, then glanced at the temple. "I don't. I want you to be able to meditate. I would just wait outside for you."

That was all?

"I mean, I guess that's alright, come on then."

Kylin laced her fingers with mine and we began the climb up towards the temple.

Rocks clattered and fell down below, echoing off the walls of empty chasms and pits.

After a few minutes of struggle, we were at the doors to what seemed like one of the most cursed places we had been to.

I planted a small kiss on Kylin' forehead before walking in and resting in a quiet spot.

No ghosts of my master appeared, no haunting dreams or memories.

Just peace.

I stood up about half an hour later, stretching and smiling to myself.

The doors were still open as we left them, though there was a lot more commotion.

Was Merrin back? Did Cere or Greez dare make the trek out here?

As I stepped outside, nearly blinded by the bright light, I realised how terribly wrong I was.

A dozen stormtroopers stood there, half of them pointing their weapons at someone a duo held tightly.

Strings of obscenities flew from the mouth of their captive, and it didn't take long to figure out who they held at gunpoint.

Kylin was staring right down the barrel of a bucket head's blaster.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
surprise.