Chapter 4: Deafening Silence

I decided we weren't going to continue on Zeffo.

Kylin was hurt, and I wasn't really willing to let her injure herself more.

But God darn it was she stubborn.

After our little moment together, I told the short girl we were going to head back to the Mantis.

Not going to lie, I wasn't exactly surprised when she protested.

"Cal, I'm fine for goodness sake!"

"You're limping," I had pointed out. It was true. She got a blow to the ankle area, and it was quite clear she was in pain.

She had rolled her eyes. "So? I'm not crippled, I'll live."

Why did she have to be that way? It was actually almost irritating.

"Kylin, we're going back to the Mantis. You're hurt, and we're both tired. It's clear that we weren't ready for this today."

Kylin raised an eyebrow. "Why weren't we ready? We both slept well, we both seemed ready to me."

I already knew what she was trying to get out of me. She wanted answers, and something told me that I was going to end up giving in.

"Yeah," I said weakly. "You're right."

She sat down on the ground, and pulled me next to her. "Please tell me, Cal," she whispered, her beautiful eyes pleading.

"Ky, I-"

Kylin shook her head. "Please don't lie. I don't want to hear excuses, I want to hear the truth."

For some reason, I felt on the verge of tears. I wanted to tell her everything, so badly, but I feared she would think less of me. Think less of me for these weak, stupid thoughts.

Her hand found mine, where it rested on top and rubbing small circles into the top of my hand. It was a comforting feeling.

"I haven't been honest with you," I started. It wasn't hard to tell she was biting back a remark; she always bit her lip when she did.

I took a deep breath. "Kylin, there's certain rules the Jedi have to follow."

She nodded. "I know."

"But I don't know if I'm supposed to follow this one rule or not. I'm one of the few Jedi left. With no actual Order right now, would something happen if I did not follow it?"

"I do not know," she replied honestly. "I think it would depend on the rule."

"Relationships," I murmured. "Jedi are forbidden to form romantic attachments."

Kylin's face showed confusion, but her eyes always gave her away. She knew what I was talking about.

"Oh," she said simply. "If there are so few Jedi, would it really affect them that much if one survivor formed an attachment?"

I tried processing what she was saying. Did she want a relationship? Was she only saying that because of how she felt herself?

"Kylin, you know why I asked, right?"

She tensed, and gave a small nod. "Yes. I do."

Where was I supposed to go with this? There were hundreds of outcomes for this particular conversation.

"Cal," she said suddenly, grabbing my hand. I thought something was wrong in our surroundings.

"Cal I'm sorry- I haven't been honest with you either." She looked like she was about to cry.

"Don't cry," I murmured, pulling her to my chest. "Don't cry."

"You need to know something," she whispered.

The silence was deafening as she paused for a moment, trying to compose herself.

"I love you."

Those three words struck me in the heart. It shouldn't have affected me in the way it did. Because I loved her, it wasn't a lie.

But hearing it from her stopped me. It was like I was paralyzed.

My lips were dry as I tried to formulate an acceptable response.

"I-I love you too," I croaked, holding her tighter.

Blaster shots could be heard far off in the distance, as Stormtroopers fought with the creatures on this planet.

We both let the silence come on its own.

It was sort of awkward, though, not like the comforting quiet of the morning hours.

So we sat there, thinking of something to say.

Nothing came to either of us.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry this took longer to upload, and that it's shorter. I sort of wanted to make it feel rushed- as though the pair were both trying to share their thoughts at once.

Two Of Us by Louis Tomlinson is an amazing song, I feel like it sort of shows Cal and Tapal's relationship, I dunno.

Gotta Zayn,
DonutMaster07