Duality

Authors Note: In this story the names Adam and Claude are there to represent you the reader. Pick whichever suitor you would like to step into the shoes of an enjoy!

---Rena, Ruka and Marie POV---

"What did you say?!"

"You heard me!"

Rena and Ruka yelled at each other, engaging in yet another one of their petty arguments.

Marie let out a sigh upon hearing this as she sat atop her FT.

(Marie in head) "If we were still trying to trick Ooarai this would be fine but..."

"You stuck up little-" Rena started to yell stopping as Marie called out.

"Enough!" She said with a slightly angered expression as she jumped down and stepped between the two. Who were still glaring at each other as she continued to speak.

"How are we supposed to ever improve if the two group commanders for our team can't even get along? This is exactly why we lost against Ooarai you know?"

"It was her who did it!" They both yelled practically at the same time, pointing fingers at each other as Marie let out another sigh.

"You two were once best friends, how did things change so much? Is you two's loyalty to your particular group within our school more important than your relationship with each other?"

"Yes it is!" They both once again yelled in unison, turning away in a huff.

Marie giggled slightly at this sight.

"Well at least you can agree on somethings~" She teased as she leaned back against her tank.(Marie in head) "I just hope I can find a way to bring them closer together..."

---Adam and Claude POV---

"So you've got no classes for the rest of the day?" Claude asked Adam as they walked out of their classroom and into the corridor.

"Nah, I'm thinking of heading over to the practice fields. Ruka wants to run some drills" Adam replied as they turned a corner.

"Fair enough, I'm guessing Rena will try and run some herself to keep herself on par with her. You know how competitive they are" Claude responded with a laugh, which Adam joined in on.

"Yeah you're right, Marie told me they go way back though. Like before highschool even"

"Interesting..."

"Before they joined this school and ended up in different class groups they were best friends"

"Huh..." Claude muttered with a confused expression.

"You know how fervent some people are about the class stuff, I guess they got caught up in it and haven't been the same since"

"I suppose, but we're an example of that not really being an issue" Claude added with a smile, looking between himself and Adam who were both wearing their uniform in a slightly different way. This was how the two class groups had come to tell each other apart.

While during most classes members of each group would sit only with other students in their own group, Adam and Claude didn't care much for this. Sitting with each other in almost all classes they were together in. This had caused many members of both groups to look upon them with disgust but they didn't mind. To them being friends meant more than what they were wearing or what group they'd been put into.

---Timeskip: No One POV---

As Adam and Claude approached the practice fields they first saw Marie sitting atop her tank as usual and then below it as usual they saw Rena and Ruka verbally fighting over god knows what. The pair stood at a bit of a distance for a short time, leaning on some of the nearby tanks as they watched the two fight.

"Makes our little arguments look pretty tame eh?" Adam asked with a chuckle.

"Yep" Claude replied with a laugh as well.

Despite their own class groups and their commanders constantly arguing because of the separation, Claude and Adam both held a similar secret, one they were reluctant to share with one another or anyone for that matter.

However as they stood here simply watching the two commanders fight they both let it slip...

(Adam in head) "I know I shouldn't stare at someone in another group but..." He thought to himself as he watched Rena almost exclusively...

(Claude in head) "Ruka looks stunning today as always..." He thought to himself as he let his head droop slightly to one side, a wide smile forming on his face as he watched her.

As the pair did this they didn't notice as Marie looked up from the book she was reading and noticed the pair of them leaning on some of the tanks not too far away. At first a confused expression formed on her face, then a smirk as she realised what they were staring so intently at. However this smirk was then replaced with a look of shook as she did her best to track back to who each of them was staring at...

(Marie in head) "So they're interested in each other's commander! And here I thought they were interested in their own...."

Marie was not the only one to notice this however, after a brief time 'enjoying the view' both Adam and Claude turned towards each other slightly and realised who each of them had been staring at...

"You're..." They both muttered to each other as surprised and melancholic expressions formed on each other their faces.

"Huh..." Adam then muttered in a soft tone.

"So your interested in Rena then?" Claude then asked.

"Maybe..." Adam responded, turning away to hide his embarrassment.

Claude began to chuckle slightly at this but stopped as Adam turned around and spoke to him.

"What about you? You were staring pretty intently at Ruka"

Claude grumbled slightly as he too looked away.

"This creates problems you know?" Adam asked with a slight chuckle as he clipped down and at on the ground, leaning his back against the tank behind him.

"Yeah I know..." Claude replied as he sat down beside him.

"Both of us like girls from the opposite group to what we're in..."

"Maybe they'll embrace it and give us a chance..." Claude spoke with a slightly joking expression.

"Oh so you think that that scares me?!"

"Come and fight properly then!"

Adam let out a sigh and chuckled again as the pair stopped speaking and heard Rena and Ruka yelled at each other yet again.

"I think it'll be an uphill battle" Adam responded as Claude let out a sigh.

"I think you're right..."