I stayed quiet, waiting for her to continue. 

"So when she was about 5 years old, I started leaving her home alone. It's really early to leave a kid on their own, I know that," she groaned, "But I had no other choice, get what I'm saying?" 

I nodded slowly, my eyes trained on the now soggy cereal in front of me. 

"So, I had to teach her how to do things around the house. She knew how to order food for herself, clean the dishes, everything she was doing on her own. I mean, for the love of God, her mother taught her to shower on her own when she was three years old. I mean, I don't know much about children but I know you don't leave a three-year-old alone in the bathroom." 

We fell into a short silence. 

Then she resumed, "So she kind of grew up on her own and raised herself." I looked up at her, not knowing what to say. "She grew up very lonely, Ethan. Very, very lonely. No one for her at home, no friends at school until almost freshman year when Skylar joined. I believe it was around that time. She wasn't just alone, she was lonely. It wasn't solitude, it was heartbreaking. And you, whether you know it or not, you saved her." 

I blinked in confusion and surprise. "Me?" 

"Yeah, you. You know, growing up she would have really low days where she would say, 'I'm never going to school again, I hate it there, nobody wants me, I don't have any friends!' and there was nothing anyone could do or say to convince her otherwise. As if kids aren't stubborn as it is," she sighed. 

"And where exactly did I click into place?" I asked out of curiosity and surprise, both. 

"Then there were days, almost all of them, especially after she had those days where she didn't want to go, where she would say, 'I'm going to school today, it's gonna be fun, I can't wait to annoy Miles, Miles is such an idiot, Miles is so dumb it makes me laugh' and those days are the reason she kept going to school. We stopped having to force her, she went just to annoy you, just to fight with you, just to hang out with you," Cher shrugged. 

I stared down at my now empty bowl, smiling to myself. "No, she didn't," I chuckled. 

"She did, I swear. Ask her about this. Just do it after I leave because she'll kill me. She hates when people talk about her, especially about what she's been through," she explained. "Ethan." I looked back up at her. "She's had horrible times growing up. I don't think you get how horrible," she paused, hesitating. "Like... suicidal horrible." 

I froze. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to react. The weirdest part was, she never let it show. Any of it. She was always Oliver Twist, Olive, Olivia, the She-devil. 

How did no one see it? 

More importantly, how did I not see it? I've been with her since preschool. How did I not see it? 

"She never tried, never did anything that stupid," she mumbled, "But she really hated her life for a long, long time. And intentionally or unintentionally, you helped her get through it all. I wanna thank you for that and just say, I hope you're always there for her. One way or another, always be in her life. As a friend, as a boyfriend, husband, whatever it is. Father of her children maybe," she chuckled. I smiled at her, moving the spoon around in the empty bowl. "She's okay now, Ethan," she said reassuringly, "She's had a tough past but she's alright now. She's got you," she nodded. 

I sighed, looking up at her, "She's always had me, Cher," I smiled. 

"She's a lucky girl," she chuckled. 

I shook my head, standing up and leaving the bowl in the sink. "No, Cher. I'm a lucky guy." 

We both turned to the front door as it opened and revealed Olivia with only a few more packs of Oreos, some chips, and some fruits and veggies. "I'm back," she sang. 

Cher and I looked at each other. "She's back," we sang mockingly in sync. 

"Screw you guys," she scoffed, taking the Oreos out of the bag and sliding a pack to Cher. "You don't get any for doing that," she scrunched up her nose at me. 

"I don't want any Oreos," I said, walking over to her. 

"He wants kisses," Cher said with Oreos stuffed in her mouth. We both stared at Cher. "Okay, Jesus, I'll take the hint," she said before going upstairs and into her room. 

"Hi," I grinned. 

"Hi," she smiled back, putting her arms around my neck. 

"I missed you," I mumbled, hoisting her up onto the counter and standing between her legs. 

"Liar," she whispered. 

"Cross my heart," I replied, kissing her cheek softly. 

"You seem a little extra lovey-dovey today, something you need?" she asked, pulling away to look at me. 

I stared at her, my mind going back to what Cher told me. "Nothing special, I just need you," I sighed, pulling her into a hug. 

She seemed confused because she hesitated but she hugged me back. "You've always got me," she chuckled. 

I've always got her.

And she's always got me.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 36

If you like romance books:

ALL YOUR PERFECTS BY COLLEEN HOOVER

10/10

IT'S THE SADDEST, MOST FUCKING BEAUTIFUL BOOK I'VE EVER READ