Chapter 40: Do I NEED A Reason To Want To Watch The World Burn?

~~~~~

Location: the Skeld, heading home

Red

Finally, they were going home.

Silver was still cooped up in Communications, and he had checked on her multiple times to ensure that she wasn't doing anything suspicious.

Back on Polus, he had found the two kids with Maroon in a corner of Oxygen, crying her eyes out, and he had taken her back to the Skeld, grabbing White and Peach along the way.

After getting Black situated, he had gone back to Specimen to see Pink still clutching Purple's body in a sorrowful embrace.

So, the only logical thing to do was to take Purple with them, since Pink evidently wouldn't leave without her. When they got her back home, at least they could give her a proper burial.

Now, Red was sitting in Navigation, setting the course for Earth by himself.

With a deep sigh, Red finished up and went to find White and Peach. He had it in mind to check on everyone, and then go and try talking to Silver.

The two crewmates were with Black and the kids in Cafeteria.

When Red walked in, White was examining Black's injured hand, trying to treat it the best he could. Peach, on the other hand, looked concerned for Black, but otherwise bored.

"I bet you're both wondering what happened," Red started off, looking at Peach and White.

White sighed, finishing with Black, who gave him a grateful look before turning to Red.

"As a matter of fact, yes, we are wondering. Where's everyone else? Purple? Pink? Lime? Maroon? Silver? Smalt?" Peach asked, looking concerned for his fellow crewmates.

Red took a deep breath. "Well... Silver was the killer, and she got to Smalt, Lime, and Purple before we could stop her," he said, blinking back tears.

White was stunned into silence. "... really? They're both gone?"

Red nodded sadly. "Maroon is by herself in her room, Pink is with Purple's body in MedBay - she refused to part with her - and Silver is being confined to Communications until we decide what to do with her."

"Why don't you just kill her?" Peach pointed out. "She clearly deserves it by now."

Red remembered when Pink had said those very words, and he formulated a response similar to the one he gave back then: "No, we're no better than she is if we kill her. Besides," he added, "we need information, and she's the only source we have."

Peach sighed. "I guess you're right, but... she killed Smalt, Lime, and Purple within such a short period of time - she's dangerous. They're all gone because of her."

For a moment, Red contemplated what to tell them. If we're going to be working together from now on, they need to know what exactly is going on, and why we need Silver.

"Well... I'm afraid I haven't told you the entire truth. The mission before this, we had an imposter, Green, that tried to kill us - Pink, Purple, Black, myself, and the two kids were the only survivors. However, during that mission, one of our friends, Blue, had been blackmailed to help Green get away with his kills. But when she was forced to kill all of us or have her brother die, she faked our deaths, and then she and Green disappeared. After we tried to get the authorities on our side and were pushed away, we were put on this mission. We didn't have a lead until now - Silver trapped Black and Lime in Storage, killed Lime, and then mentioned to Black that she knew who Blue was, so we think that Silver knows where Blue and Green are, and that she was put on this mission to kill us."