Chapter 45: The Calm Before The Storm

Location: MIRA HQ

Blue

Blue lay on the floor, taking deep breaths and trying to slow her breathing.

Her body hurt from fighting Lapis, and the adrenaline was still racing through her veins.

Besides her and Green, everyone else that had previously been on their mission was dead.

"We need to take care of their bodies before we get on the ship to go home," Green said, walking up.

Blue nodded, not wanting to get up just yet.

"Also," Green added, "what you did back there... I really should thank you, shouldn't I?"

"You're asking me questions about socializing?"

He chuckled, rolling his eyes. "That's true," he agreed, sitting down next to where she lay.

For a moment, they simply enjoyed the quiet, staring out at the open skies lit by the setting sun.

"Well, thank you. I owe you my life," Green said softly.

"Uh... you're welcome, I guess," Blue muttered, not sure what to say back.

Green laughed at her response, and then got serious again. "You know, you didn't have to do that."

"I know. But I saw the look in your eyes, and I- I couldn't let you die. You're the only person I've got, and I wasn't about to lose you."

Green went silent for a while after hearing that, and for a long moment, Blue wondered if she said something wrong.

I KNEW I shouldn't have said anything.

"For the longest time, I felt at peace with knowing I'd get killed eventually, one way or another - I lived on the edge for such a long time, getting myself into situations and then seeing if I could lie my way out of them, or if I'd finally get caught. I thought I'd be at peace with dying, but... I wasn't. When Scarlet and Lapis found the evidence and went to throw me off the balcony... I didn't want to."

"Why not?"

"Because I have a reason to stick around and stay alive - I have you. And, honestly, I'm still in disbelief that I have someone to truly call my friend."

"I mean, I got stuck with you, so I had to make do with what I had," Blue pointed out.

Green snorted. "Shut up, I'd like to believe we would have become friends if imposters weren't a thing. Besides, you didn't have to get emotionally attached to me."

"Who said I was emotionally attached?"

"It's a human thing to do - no need to be defensive about it, we're a social species. After all, I'm not thinking any less of you for it."

"... f**king emotional attachments, they just complicate things."

Green raised an eyebrow. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did have emotional attachments before all this."

Oh, right.

... I hope Talon is doing all right. And Black and the others too... I hope they're all okay.

I hope Black doesn't hate me.

"Being emotionally attached to a kid isn't the same as being emotionally attached to a f**king murderer, LEXACON."

Rolling his eyes, Green sighed, facepalming. "Anyways. Thank you for saving my life, I appreciate you being my friend, and please shut up about emotional attachments, because you sound like a psychopath."