Chapter 19

South of France

Michael rented out a house in the South of France. It was a beautiful antique building made out of off white stone built in the eighteen century. Ivy crawled along its walls as beautiful flowers of all colours adorn its lawn. It looked like something out of a fairytale as the green lawn stretched about two acres sealed off by a white gate and stoned stairs leading to its entranceway.

The air was crispy as the fragrance of the flowers and the freshness of the air danced along Valentinaś skin. Just what their Bria needs, fresh air to keep her healthy. The institute was only thirty minutes away and she required treatment every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. She called those the odd days as opposed to even days like Tuesday and Thursday.

Michael had Bria in his arms as they walked up the stone stairs to their new home. Kuda was behind them with some luggage. Her arms were empty as it swung beside her apparently, she wasn't allowed to carry anything heavy. Valentina looked at Bria's sleeping face and felt the cool french air and the warm colour addressing the leaves signalling autumn was near.

Sylva had decided to stay in New Jersey, not because she wanted to but because she needed to take care of her mother who was ninety-six years old and could not bear the thought of leaving her for a year. Michael, however, had commitments that meant he would spend his time between the two countries. Kuda would be here on his behalf when he was in America much to Valentinaś disdain.

Valentina had just put Bria to bed for the night, the poor baby the plane ride had made her incredibly sleepy and walked into the kitchen to make herself a cup of ginger tea. She felt like her body was on fire, her stomach was so queasy and a little baby bump was emerging making her already tight clothes feel tighter. She touched the tiny bump, she needed to go shopping soon she thought as Micheal walked into the room.

"I have been making calls for staff all day," he said with a sigh, pulling a stool from the island and sitting down he noticed her hands on her stomach and the ill look on her face.

"What is the matter?" he asked with alertness and his brows furrowed

"Nothing, just feeling a bit nauseous," she said as she shook her head at him, he eyed her ginger tea in her hand then returned to his normal demeanour.

"They will be coming in tomorrow for some interviews and by Friday they will start working when I officially have to leave for business," he said and she just nodded. she doesn't really need staff other than someone to help her tidy up. Knowing Michael he would probably hire around ten people from the agency. She sighed to herself, causing Michael to look up at her from his phone.

"Is there something on your mind, Valentina?" as she was about to answer the doorbell rang? Michael got up from his chair and left to go answer the doorbell. She followed behind him wondering who it could be at the door. Michael looked through the peephole and then shook his head stretching his arm to stop her as she tried reaching the door.

"Stay," he warned and pulled open the door to her surprise. There was a middle-aged couple standing at the door with a plate of cookies in the wife's hands. She could have sworn it was someone dangerous by the way Michael acted. A warm smile spread across her face, while Michael had his usual stoic expression in front of the two visitors.

The wife was the first one to speak.

"Hello, my name is Rose and this is my husband Antony and we live in the house next to you guys. I just came to welcome you guys to the neighbourhood," she said with an American accent much to Valentinaś delight. She really would have had a hard time if their neighbours were French speakers. Her husband Antony gave them a small wave.

Michael forced a little smile at the couple, Rose who looked around fifty-five had dark skin with short black hair while Antony, on the other hand, was white with straight red hair that made him look like an older version of Michael Fassbender.