XXXII. Uncertain Cituation

The Same Night

     I ignored the fact that Daniel was currently at this strip mall, I didn't want Johnny to know

I ignored the fact that Daniel was currently at this strip mall, I didn't want Johnny to know. We walked into the liquor store and I followed Johnny to the back of the store, where the beers were.

"Did I tell you that the rent is going up for this lot?" He asked as he bent over to look for a beer.

"What do you mean, why?!" I asked in shock. That's going to be really hard to keep the business going since we just started.

He sighed and shrugged, "I dunno." He answered. I shook my head, "That's bullshit, who'd double the rent for a strip mall?" I said in an irritated tone.

We heard the ring of the door opening behind us. Johnny was still looking for the right beer he wanted. I turned around and saw Daniel walk in.

He looked at me and gave a little smile, I gave him a look of confusion in return. He then went up to the cash register.

"You got any red spray paint?" Daniel asked the man. Red spray paint.. Why would he want that?

Johnny heard his voice and turned around. "Yeah. We keep it in the back. Otherwise, the kids will steal it." The man told Daniel.

Johnny stood up and stepped a little closer to me. Daniel looked at Johnny. I wonder if Daniel knows that Johnny was the one who vandalized his billboard.

Daniel looked back to the man at the register, "I got a little art project. Big canvas, right on Ventura Boulevard." Daniel said and looked to Johnny at the end of his sentence.

Yeah, he definitely knows.

"Yeah, uh. Watch them for me, will you?" The man told Daniel, like we were gonna steal anything.

"Yeah, no problem. Thank you." Daniel said.

He began to fiddle with something that was on the counter.

"So, what brings you here Daniel?" I asked him. He looked up and looked to Johnny for a second.

"Oh, just checking out the neighborhood." Daniel explained in a weird tone. I know he's lying, he wasn't the greatest liar.