ISSUE #34

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

NOVEMBER 30, 2018
FEELS LIKE HOME

——

*.☽  AFTER GRADUATION,
KITA SHINSUKE BECAME
A RICE FARMER.

☽  AFTER GRADUATION,KITA SHINSUKE BECAMEA RICE FARMER

Iori was giggling. Full-on giggling, standing in the bathroom of Kita Yumie's home, turning on the sink as a diversion for her giggling. She was being attacked by a swarm of butterflies, the feeling of hundreds of little wings flapping in her stomach becoming too much to handle.

It was one thing to impress the parents of your boyfriend. It was another thing for his grandmother to tell you to call her grandma. She was overjoyed, and, after frantically texting Yukimi and Tsuru, threw a little celebration for herself in the bathroom.

Finally, she flicked the faucet off, trying her best to return to a normal face. Iori examined herself in the mirror, taking a deep breath. Looking at her overjoyed-self made her want to giggle more, but she would have to collect herself.

Iori pushed the door of the bathroom open, returning to the living room, where Kita and his grandmother sat. They were deep into a game of shogi, going back and forth in silence.

Yumie seemed to have one, as, when Iori sat down next to Kita, she let out a triumphant laugh. Kita looked the tiniest bit frustrated, but tranquil nonetheless.

"I win again," Yumie chuckled, going to set up the board for yet another game. To be quite honest, Iori was perfectly content with watching them go at it, trying to figure out the game as they went along. Yumie seemed to have other plans.

"All right! I'll play against Iori now," Yumie announced. Iori nearly choked on air, her eyes resembling that of a fish's.

"Oh, I don't know how," she spluttered, tripping over her words. "It's okay! I can keep watching."

"Oh, where's the fun in that? Now's a good of a time to learn as ever," Yumie waved her hand in dismissal. "Go on, Shinsuke, switch with 'er."

"I can help you it," Kita offered, sliding backward. Iori shuffled over to his cushion, returning to her criss-cross applesauce position quickly after. The shogi board now seemed like a threat, a reckless wasteland that she was bound to get lost in.

This had to be the end. Iori's mom had always been against all board games, claiming they were a waste of time compared to other games she'd been interested in. Of course, Iori always suspected it was because her mom didn't exactly know how to play, but she never said anything.

"I can make the first move," Yumie suggested, moving a piece without waiting for an answer. Iori had no clue what piece she moved, or where to move one of her pieces; she just sat there, staring at the board in complete terror.