47. Pack Therapist

Start from the beginning

     Stopping in his tracks, Neal turns to face him. Then, he grins, engulfing him in a hug despite the stares and whispers that travel amongst the pack. Despite their culture, they're family and considered Ian family too. And while gossip isn't something they pride themselves in, they didn't know what else to think.

     "Peryus," He repeats, and the whispered name settles something within Ian. He feels calm, at peace with his identity. Something, while not necessarily new, still something that he definitely isn't accustomed to.

     "Yeah. He uh, he wanted me to tell you." With a shrug he adds, "Felt like it was time."

     "Oh yeah, thank him for me please." Neal replies sarcastically, shrugging nonchalantly as he pulls away from the hug. "It only took me like, half my life to gain his trust."

     "Don't get salty at me, I tried to convince him." He explains, shrugging as well.

     "Well Peryus," He starts and Ian's wolf shifts at being addressed. "It's nice to finally have a name for that big snout of yours. You're quite stubborn, I'm kind of surprised it didn't take you longer to get mated."

     "Are you ever going to let that go? I went into heat!" And if it weren't Neal, if it had been anyone else, he knows he would've been too embarrassed to say something like that out loud. It isn't a surprise anyways, the whole pack knows now with his scent sprinkled with Luke, Lev and post-heat pheromones.

     "Hey, we both know that's a dumb excuse!" Neal squawks, "Whenever you went into heat at the cabin, you'd-" He doesn't get a chance to finish, not with how quick Ian is to slap a hand over the others mouth - effectively shutting him up.

     "What happened during his heats?" A new voice asks behind them and Ian screams, glaring at Neal as the fox grins against his palm mischievously. The voice is Luke, who has an equally matching grin on his face and behind him Lev and Eric stand, expressions no less amused than Lukes.

     Stepping back from Ian's palm, Neal inhales, "Well, mate numero uno, there's this thing he'd do - you know how Omegas nest right? Well, similar to that, but instead he'd go into the bathroom and-"

     "N-eal!" He screeches, lounging at his friend. Neal only laughs, wheezing as he dodges the attack and begins running in the opposite direction. His friend doesn't hesitate, running after him. They weave their way around the pack grounds, laughing and shrieking as their mates watch from the center, eyes filling with fondness.

__

     "Are you ready to go?" Ian asks, panting as they finally calm down from the chase. He falls against Neal on the dirt forest patch in front of Ian's packhouse. They'd run all around the pack ground, sometimes stopping so Ian could complete his "Luna duties" before getting into another banter. Now, nearing the end of the day, the pack members no longer sent the duo wary glances - having transformed into amused stares.

     Neal groans at the sudden additional weight, using his other hand to comb the hair on his forehead out of his forehead. "I mean, yeah. Eric's Pack and friends are nice, we only left because of what occurred, but now that it's over with - Eric wants to go back and help rebuild their fighting departments." He turns to look at the Omega and Ian's breath catches in the back of his throat at his best friend's bright green eyes. Have they always been that bright? "And you're right next door, so I can bug you all the time. What's there not to be ready for?"

     "The pack therapist."

     "No. Don't tell me that you're on Eric's side." He mutters, voice bitter and distant and the Omega whines pitifully at the tone, throwing a leg over his friend's torso and hugging him closely. Eric had discussed it with Neal the night prior, gathering him in his arms and nuzzling against his Bond mark to calm him as the words left him. To be clear, the words hadn't hurt Neal, but they had worked to expose him and leave him in harm's way of his own thoughts. Unsafe. Unprotected. Truthfully, he doesn't know if he can go back to therapy, what would the point be anyways?

     "Not Eric's side," He begins, pushing his chin onto Neal's shoulder and exhaling softly. "Yours, always. You need to go, and besides pack doctors are a lot different than human doctors. You might like this one."

     "I liked my last one." Neal admits reluctantly with a roll of his eyes and his best friend gasps next to him.

     "What? Why didn't you tell me? That's awesome!"

     He cringes at the excitement, "Is it?"

     Smacking his shoulder, Ian responds, "Neal, of course it is. You've never liked your therapists, this is progress!"

     "I still need to look up information on her-"

     A gasp escapes the Omega, "It's a her."

     "-Shut up. Point is, no ones that nice." Ian sends him a soft look as he sits up, giving Neal the space to pout and cross his arms over his chest. It's so like Neal to always doubt, to always question and never trust. It's what made him a great student, a great man, and an even better information broker. But it always works as a flaw when it comes to people genuinely trying to help him.

     "Can you give her another shot? For me?" At the request, Neal's eyes widen. For him, he can do that right? It won't hurt anyone and if helps Ian- then even better because he always wants to help Ian.

     With a reluctant nod, Neal agrees. "Y-Yeah, I can." And Ian smiles happily.

><><><><><

3

Kinda short and filler-ish. Sorry.

<3