27 - Paint the Town

Start from the beginning

She tried to push the thoughts that were constricting around her heart away as she dragged her feet to her room, hoping that everything would be resolved after their talk. After finally reaching her door, she opened it and let Jungkook enter first. Charlie closed the door behind her once she walked in and turned to see Jungkook already sitting on her bed, watching her every move.

"Ok," she breathed out, trying to maintain eye contact as Jungkook's intense gaze was locked onto her nervous one. "I... I'm sorry for what I did." She started to feel her heart race a little as she took a deep breath, trying to call down it's erratic beating. Why was this making her so nervous? "I should have let go when you tapped out and not held on for as long as I did." Charlie was truly sorry for hurting him like that. Her eyes met the ground, refusing to look at the man sitting on her bed as the guilt started to swirl amidst all the other emotions she had felt.

"That's what you're sorry about?" Jungkook asked, scoffing.

He had thought about it all night: what he would want to say to Charlie, what he would want to hear from her... He believed that he deserved an apology, and even wondered if he should offer one as well.

The talk with Hoseok yesterday rattled him a little as he honestly didn't know if he wanted to just stay friends with Charlie, but that was something he could worry about addressing later. He didn't even know if she felt the same way, and the thought of bringing it up terrified him since he didn't want to ruin their friendship.

He had told himself that he would let Charlie decide when she was ready to talk since he figured that she might still need some time, just like how he did. However, he was not expecting it to be right away this morning.

Charlie was surprised by his tone as she looked up at him, immediately noticing his irritation. "Umm... Yes?" Charlie furrowed her brows as she watched him stand up and start to pace around her room.

"You are unbelievable," Jungkook spat out as he glared at her. He couldn't deny the way his chest tightened, his face heating up as he felt the anger building up inside, threatening to claw its way out and inflict the same emotional pain that he felt, but he bit his tongue, refraining from saying anything more.

He just wished she would understand, yet she still seemed to think that this was about her stupid actions. Sure, he was fucking pissed that she almost killed him... but he was probably more disappointed in the words that she carelessly threw at him. She didn't even realize how much her words had hurt him, or the way they still echoed in his head, and how, each time they resonated, it felt like a stab to the chest. He may have let shit slide in the past, but he was tired of easing up on her and making excuses. This was different, and he was not going to allow it, not anymore.

"I am trying to apologize to you, why are you being such an asshole?" Charlie crossed her arms, the anger rising in her once more as her expression hardened, her defenses slowly building as she prepared herself for yet another confrontation.

"I told you to wait," Jungkook said, spitting out the words through clenched teeth.

"Oh my God, there was no time! How many times do we need to go over this?!" Charlie glared back at Jungkook. "I made a call because it needed to be made. You didn't see or hear what I did-"

"Exactly!" Jungkook exclaimed, trying to make a point, but Charlie was not comprehending it.

"Look, I know you weren't at your post yet, but I-" Charlie was ready to fight him on this one before he interrupted.

"Stop," Jungkook said, his stern voice matching his serious expression. "I think it's time you listen to me now," he seethed, causing Charlie to shut her mouth as she waited for him to continue.